Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where does bodyfat percentage usually fall on Primal? page 3

Hil
    Hil is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I dunno, i just had a handheld impedance done yesterday and it said 20.3%. at size 10, and muffin top in size 8, i don't buy it. I certainly don't look like 20%. A couple of online calculators put me at 26 and 27% which is a little more believable.
    28 yrs, 5'8.5"
    started primal 1/23/11 @ 143 lbs, couldn't do a knee pushup
    3/13/11 138 lbs, 30 knee pushups, yeah!

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    That's "all" you do, eh? In fact...that's a lot by anyone's standards. Help me out here...you work out pretty much every day? Also, what exactly is your age? Becuase if this 58-year-old "ate like a pig every single day" I'd soon LOOK like pig.

In other words, I would hazard to say that your results are not typical, and that the 'average' person would either gain a ton of weight (i.e. fat) and/or experience burnout given your eating and exercise regimen.

I am envious, however. Must be nice.
    I'm 40 years old. Ex morbidly obese diabetic. Never been slim in my life until now.

Yes I workout almost everyday. Usually Sundays are off, but I do take a 2 hour walk, which I don't consider to be a workout. It's very weird for me too to discover after 4 decades on this earth that I am actually quite athletic underneath all that fat. But then again, I have never tried to be, or rather, all the bread, nice, noodles, pasta, coke, cakes, donuts... got in the way.

Ok, perhaps I should clarify my eating. I eat only when I'm hungry, which equates to once a day, during dinner time. During this one meal, I eat as much as I want, always until I'm absolutely stuffed.

Here's a typical meal for me:

1) four 1" thick ribeye steaks with plenty of butter
    2) a bowl of salad
    3) a plate of roasted belly pork
    4) a bowl or 2 of oxtail soup
    5) an avacado
    6) dessert (not pictured) will be a whole can of coconut cream with a handful of macadamias
    Last edited by chickenbackside; 03-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I'm 40 years old. Ex morbidly obese diabetic. Never been slim in my life until now.

Yes I workout almost everyday. Usually Sundays are off, but I do take a 2 hour walk, which I don't consider to be a workout. It's very weird for me too to discover after 4 decades on this earth that I am actually quite athletic underneath all that fat. But then again, I have never tried to be, or rather, all the bread, nice, noodles, pasta, coke, cakes, donuts... got in the way.

Ok, perhaps I should clarify my eating. I eat only when I'm hungry, which equates to once a day, during dinner time. During this one meal, I eat as much as I want, always until I'm absolutely stuffed.

Here's a typical meal for me:

1) four 1" thick ribeye steaks with plenty of butter
    2) a bowl of salad
    3) a plate of roasted belly pork
    4) a bowl or 2 of oxtail soup
    5) an avacado
    6) dessert (not pictured) will be a whole can of coconut cream with a handful of macadamias
    When the pick loaded I couldn't stop staring at those ribeyes and now my mouth won't stop watering.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    That's two days worth of food for me. If I ate all that in one sitting, I'd have to puke two or three times to get it all down.

Gordo

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty curious about this. I'm female, and bf% calculators online give me about 20-21 percent on average. I don't eat perfect primal (ahem, too much chocolate!) but I do work out a couple times a week. I'm always wondering how much extra work, both on diet and in the gym, it would take to knock off a percentage point or two.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    I realize this can vary a lot but for males when one is strict primal and reaches what bf % the body is comfortable with what is the general %? In other words if I was strict primal with no exercise what bf% about would I end up at?
    There is no easy answer to your question. Seems like I am holding at around 12 - 13% for now. I am eating pretty strict, but have indulgences like dark chocolate, whole milk and nuts. I have tested both with skin fold calipers and using this site: Body Fat Calculator 6 formulas to calculate body fat percentage

I am working out 3 times a week ( stronglifts 5 x 5), and try to be active otherwise.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Move around more often. Formal workouts 2-3 times a week don't mean a heck of a lot if you are sitting the rest of the time.

Try IF. Either start skipping breakfast (easier) or do a 24 hour fast or two weekly. Only eat when you are truly hungry. A little grumble is not true hunger. Eat two decent meals per day, no snacking.

doghug is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Probably around ~ 10% bf if your male and ~ 22% if you're female. Humans aren't meant to be fat. Being fat doesn't come lack of exercise only eating the wrong foods. Lack of exercise whilst eating primal will mean you won't gain any muscle.
    Well said
    " If you truly love nature you will find beauty everywhere"

- Vincent Van Gogh

Primal Since January 2011

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    From looking at pictures and estimating based on my body measurements, I'm at around 25% right now, up from a low of around 17-18% last year. Which would be pretty damn good if I was a chick, but alas, I haff zee testes.

But my diet is all over the place and I keep shifting goal posts because I have a short attention span, so I'm not a good example of someone who's been eating strict Primal or strict anything else for the past year or so. I am a damn sight healthier and stronger than I was a couple years back though, that's for sure.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123