Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where does bodyfat percentage usually fall on Primal? page 2

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Tell me about going from about 15% down to 10%. Was it smooth sailing? Did you have to change anything you were doing?
    By the time I reached 15% body fat, I was getting pretty physically fit. Up til then, I was doing exclusively body weight exercises. It was getting to a stage where 300 pushups, 100 pullups and running 5k after that in 1 workout was starting to feel pretty easy.

So I started to go to the gym to lift weights and sprint once a week. That's when 15% rapidly became 10%, DESPITE the fact that the lifting compelled me to eat A LOT more. I started to really pack on muscle and my skin started to look "thinner", if you know what mean. Veins started to pop on my quads and deltoids, and striations on my legs, delts and forearms became really obvious even when I'm just doing everyday things like brushing my teeth or lifting my lap top (friends began to notice and tell me).

In the gym, all I do are deadlifts (4-6 reps/set x 5), squats (12-20 reps/set x8), standing military press (4-6 reps/set x8), inclined bench press (4-6 reps/set x8). Outside the gym, I maintain high volume pullups, dips and push ups on days I'm not in the gym. Sprints are once a week of 8 sets of max effort with however long I need to rest to catch my breath in between the sprints. I'm usually done in less than 1/2 hour.

Also at about that time, I made a conscious effort to get as much sun as I can. When I workout outside the gym, it's always at the beach with my shirt off to maximize sun exposure.

So basically, a huge bump in exercise intensity + a lot more sun + a lot more food brought me from 15% to 10% in a matter of around 3 months.

Honestly, the best part for me is the food. For me, I feel extremely satisfied to be able to eat like a pig (a low carb primal pig) every single day, and have people think I'm literally 20 years younger than my actual age.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    The only real hard-and-fast rule is that no one is ever happy with where they are. LOL Gordo
    That is SO true. When I was in my 20's, I thought my body could be leaner. Now 10+ years later, when I see videos and photos from back then I think, "Why wasn't I happy with that body?"
    I eat healthier now, don't run/jog (which I did for about 15 years even thought I loathed it,) walk lots, do resistance training, some yoga, ballet-type workouts, etc. I know I should be happy with the way I look, and the Mr. is always complimenting me . . . but that little voice inside is always bugging me, "Can't you get the body fat down some more?"
    We're never happy with what we have. I'm trying to get there, but it's an on-going process.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Johnny at LeanSaloon maintains about 7% body fat with intermittent fasting.

JimS is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    In the gym, all I do are deadlifts (4-6 reps/set x 5), squats (12-20 reps/set x8), standing military press (4-6 reps/set x8), inclined bench press (4-6 reps/set x8). Outside the gym, I maintain high volume pullups, dips and push ups on days I'm not in the gym. Sprints are once a week of 8 sets of max effort with however long I need to rest to catch my breath in between the sprints. I'm usually done in less than 1/2 hour.
    That's "all" you do, eh? In fact...that's a lot by anyone's standards. Help me out here...you work out pretty much every day? Also, what exactly is your age? Becuase if this 58-year-old "ate like a pig every single day" I'd soon LOOK like pig.

In other words, I would hazard to say that your results are not typical, and that the 'average' person would either gain a ton of weight (i.e. fat) and/or experience burnout given your eating and exercise regimen.

I am envious, however. Must be nice.
    Last edited by JimS; 03-24-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I would put myself between 24 and 27.

The Lean Saloon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    That's "all" you do, eh? In fact...that's a lot by anyone's standards. Help me out here...you work out pretty much every day? Also, what exactly is your age? Becuase if this 58-year-old "ate like a pig every single day" I'd soon LOOK like pig.

In other words, I would hazard to say that your results are not typical, and that the 'average' person would either gain a ton of weight (i.e. fat) and/or experience burnout given your eating and exercise regimen.

I am envious, however. Must be nice.
    Jim, you are correct. Most internet communication like this rarely considers individual differences. There are a very few people who can eat a lot and compensate naturally with energy expenditure of multiple mechanisms. Most of us aren't blessed like this. (This is not to say that those few with the natural tendency to compensate have it easy, but the rest of us must put forth a lot more focus and work -- whether we eat Paleo or not.)

Best,
    Johnny

That BF calculator has to be wrong (I know they aren't exactly accurate, but it has to be way off). It says to have 25% BF I should weigh 105 lbs. I'm 5'5" and would look absolutely emaciated at 105. Back in my college "drugs and little else" days I was 115 lbs and looked like a bobble head. I would like to get down to 25% BF, but I know it would be unsustainable for me to be below 120-125 lbs.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    that calculator is totally wrong, it put me at 31%. my BF is sub 20% for sure.

Ok I found How to Calculate Lean Body Mass | eHow.com Makes a lot more sense that I am 19% BF!

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paradisefound View Post
    Ok I found How to Calculate Lean Body Mass | eHow.com Makes a lot more sense that I am 19% BF!
    Your not going to be able to actually accurately measure BF accurately using sites like that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast