Thread: Do you lose lactose tolerance on the PB? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Do you lose lactose tolerance on the PB?

Primal Fuel
    I just had a milkshake after a few days of eating mostly like this website suggests... Not....feeling....good...

I have never had problems with dairy before either. I could drink an entire gallon of milk in a day or eat a pound of cottage cheese or yogurt...

You should not lose lactose tolerance if you are eating veggies/some fiber. On a ZC diet of just meat and fat your lactobacilli and bifidobacteria will eventually die and you will most likely have trouble digesting lactose. If you have a sufficient amount of these bacteria when you are starting PB, then you should not have an issue.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I was actually just wondering the same thing. I eliminated dairy for 2 weeks and then snapped... and ate about 4 oz of hard cheddar. Yesterday was bad and so far today is just as bad. Who knows if that is what did it I'm bloated, gurgly and I think I went to the bathroom 5 or 6 times yesterday... In fairness though I should try it again after 2 weeks of eating clean. Just to be sure that it was the cheese and not the expired guac I ate (oops)

wiltondeportes Guest
    hehe false alarm...I think the 4 eggs + quarter chicken breast leftover + milkshake might just have been a rush of protein for the body. Alls well. Has anyone experimented with the blender though? I'm trying to think of a drink to make without ice cream aside from a typical smoothie. How about raw cacao nibs, banana, ice, and........orange? What could I add to make have some substance?

Just got an idea from another post...I'll try some cauliflower in there if it needs a little substance
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-24-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Coconut? Nut butter? Avocado? Egg yolks?

starshine is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I'm trying to think of a drink to make without ice cream aside from a typical smoothie. How about raw cacao nibs, banana, ice, and........orange? What could I add to make have some substance?

Just got an idea from another post...I'll try some cauliflower in there if it needs a little substance
    Uhhhh cauliflower smoothie? o.O If that sounds good to you ....

My first thought on the banana and orange was that it was a large amount of sugar/carbs but I try to eat very LC and you appear to be rock climbing in your pic so perhaps you have higher energy needs.

Possible ideas for your smoothie:
    -You could purchase a good protein powder, there is 'Primal Fuel' on this website and I believe some people use Whey protein powder (but this is derived from milk products, just a note), just make sure you read labels with whatever you're getting
    -banana adds sweetness and substance
    -frozen berries (seem to be a bit more paleo-friendly)
    -coconut milk (would have a good amount of fat, which would fill you up), coconut flakes, and/or coconut oil
    -nut butter (if you eat nuts ...)
    -spinach (I've had spinach and banana smoothies before, they're called 'green smoothies', as long as the spinach is fresh you don't taste it)

noncommital is offline Member
    It definitely happened to me big time. Couldn't figure out why I was so painfully bloated since I'd given up grains, legumes and sugar, when I hadn't been before starting, but it was definitely the milk. A glass of milk, without sugar, not in a smoothie. I went a day without dairy and felt better. Had very little problem with dairy products before. Now I have to take lactase supplements before consuming dairy (even yogurt) or I bloat up like a balloon. Hoping this will get back to normal since I gave up PB.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    There's no reason I know of why your lactase production should suffer from going primal. In fact, if you had any problems with grains it might even improve as lactase is made in the same part of the intestinal villi that get damaged in auto-immune activity towards gluten. One thing that can happen is that as your system 'load' of toxins (such as gluten and lectin) drops, reactions to other substances sometimes seems to become stronger - perhaps a case of the body being able to focus all its efforts on the one remaining thing that's causing it damage, which for some people may be casein, or problems digesting lactose.

oak_dweller is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Instead of "losing lactose tolerance," it might be a case of "uncovering lactose intolerance."

My body was so reactive with grains, sugar, and dairy, that I had no idea what was causing my symptoms and when. After cleaning it up on PB, I started hitting the heavy cream. I love heavy cream, so I kept "testing" my reaction to it, more times than I care to admit. (I was hoping it was not the cream causing the trouble, but my reaction was always the same: stomach agony.)

You may or may not have had a false alarm. When you test it again with another serving of dairy, you should know.