Thread: Primal Lunch Time Ideas for a New Comer page

Phoebe is offline Junior Member

Primal Lunch Time Ideas for a New Comer

Shop Now
    Hi all! I am so excited to be a part of this community and hopefully some of you can help me out. I am new to the primal movement. I am seeking some advice as to what I could bring to work for lunch and also have a snacks? I am trying to save money and need to bring all my food to work.. what are some of the hot tips on this subject?

Thanks for your help!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I've only been doing this for a few weeks, so I don't have a ton of ideas yet, but on the weekend I roasted 8 chicken thighs.

A couple of days this week I made a big ass salad of mixed greens, shredded cabbage, baby cucumber, orange pepper, balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing and two shredded chicken thighs on top.

I've done other versions of this salad with tomato and feta cheese instead of the chicken.

Hard boiled eggs transport well, as does cold cooked bacon

Dinner leftovers work well too. Tomorrow's lunch will consist of some cold pork tenderloin and sweet potato/white potato mash (with butter!).

Phoebe is offline Junior Member

Thanks for reply!

Thanks! I will try these ideas for sure.. What do you do for breakfast? I am thinking about trying the no oatmeal recipe- I dont really want to have to eat eggs all the time

Hope your primal journey is going well!

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    Cook extra for dinner , and have that for lunch , then everyone at your work can marvel over your delicious Primal food !

cpb
    cpb is offline Member
    How does everyone feel about microwaves? I am more than happy to eat leftovers for breakfast, but am reluctant to use the microwave too often to reheat food (which is my only option in the office).
    Let Go. Move On. Be Free.

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    I eat mine cold , even though at work we have a regular oven as well as a microwave ( not a big fan of microwaves anyway ) , I doesn't take much to get used to it !

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    i am a big fan of the chicken leg. . . like simodalcais mentioned make extra for dinner. i bake or grill a bunch for dinner and then can eat them for lunch the next day or two. they are yummy cold as well! people usually are envious of my lunch as they are eating a sandwich and i usually have a few chicken legs with a salad.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of threads debating the safety of microwaves...

As for lunch ideas, I usually bring a big salad and for dressing I have oil, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in my office. (nice because it requires no refrigeration, provided you don't mix them ahead of time.)

I also make a big vat of delicious and cheap primal soup, freeze into serving-size containers, and microwave (yes) those at the office. They stay frozen until it's time to microwave, so I don't have to deal with the fridge competition. Ingredients: carrot, celery, onion all diced. Add to chicken broth with thyme, garlic, salt, pepper. When veggies are cooked, add ground meat, stir to break up the meat, and turn off the heat (it's hot enough to finish cooking the meat.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

I usually bring dinner leftovers, but a pantry-based staple is an easy egg salad, over mixed greens.

Take a tin of high-quality tuna or herring, some mayo and mustard, perhaps some dill pickles or olives and mix with 2-3 diced hard boiled eggs. Easy and delicious, plus it keeps in the fridge for a while.
    Last edited by tallglassome; 03-26-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo