Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some more ideas for fat/protein foods page

MissPatty is offline Junior Member

Cool Need some more ideas for fat/protein foods

Shop Now
    First...A huge "Thank you!" to Senior Members for teaching us "newbies".
    What are some good things to eat when I've reached my carb limit for weight loss but I need more fat/protein? I need to get these up without adding carbs. Should I just eat more meat? Anything else?
    Thank you!

I read the "other sources of fat" post but didn't see anything I could use.

barefootmama is offline Member
    I'm looking for ideas as well.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Meat, eggs, and high protein dairy products (cottage cheese and whey)((you may or may not want to eat dairy)) are your best sources of protein. All meat isn't created equal though. I eat a lot more fish these days than ever before. I get a lot of my protein that way.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    You really cant go wrong with meat. I know its cliche...but most meat is very nutritious in terms of macronutrients (i.e. vitamins and protein and fat). And best of all, if you are monitoring your carb intake...which it sounds as though you are...most natural meats are very low carb.. if not carb free. Plus, as an extra added bonus....meat is filling. Protein and Fat fill you up!

For me, I have completely given over to purchasing meat at the store. I buy all kinds of sausages, bacon, hamburger, steak, pork chops, chicken and other less common meats for eating. I also cook it up ahead of time and keep it in the frig in a container. I drive 50 mins each way to and from work. And when I am going in I will grab one or more of my pre-cooked meats to snack on for the ride. It really makes it easy and best of all, I am never hungry.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Great! I'm already eating 2 eggs for breakfast and 2 hardboiled for a snack, 3-4 oz of chicken with salad at lunch and fish or chicken or steak for dinner. I will add some more meat to the day to get more protein and fat.
    Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by MissPatty View Post
    Great! I'm already eating 2 eggs for breakfast and 2 hardboiled for a snack, 3-4 oz of chicken with salad at lunch and fish or chicken or steak for dinner. I will add some more meat to the day to get more protein and fat.
    Thank you all!
    I get your sarcasm. You sound like you are sick of eating meat. Yes?

Also, I didnt suggest nuts for you because you made it sound as though you were watching your carb intake in an effort to lose weight. But nuts are a great, natural snack. I like Almonds personally. Walnuts as well. I dont eat a ton of them because I am trying to drop bodyfat. And nuts can get in the way of that.

Also, there is dairy. I personally dont do dairy because, again, I am trying for fat loss and dairy can be gluconeogenic (insulin spiking) in some people. But you may be different. Hard cheeses are low carb. You can try those as a snack too.

Finally, and worst of these that I mentioned for fat loss is fruit. Fruit is natures snack. But it has carbs. So, again, if you want to lose fat I wouldnt recommend lots of fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, black berries and blue berries are relatively low carb as far as fruit go. I have known people that eat fruit and still manage to drop body fat. Unfortunately, Im not one of them....

And last but definitely not least....you always have vegetables. And if you eat the right ones....you wont ever have a carb problem. In fact, I get virtually all of my carbs everyday from vegetables. Broccoli, Green Peppers, Spinach, Green Beans etc etc.

One other thing I think I would mention to you is that if you have given up grains, gluten, sugar and processed crap and made it through the carb flu....and you are still experiencing hunger pains throughout the day... then you aren't eating enough protein and fat. Once your body converts totally to ketosis as your primary metabolism mechanism you wont have yo-yoing blood sugar as a result of insulin spikes from your food anymore. So, your meals will stick with you longer...because your blood sugar will "flatline". And because of that you wont be hungry and you will eat less per day. I know it doesnt seem logical at the time you come from CW, but it is true. Eat Protein(meat), Fat (meat) and Vegetables (Carbs) at as many meals as you can and you will end up eating less than you did when you consumed gluten/sugar/grains at every meal.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    You can get great snacks from a health food store. I buy buffalo/beef/ostrich jerky from my store. I also pick up Applegate Farms salami and pepperoni when they have it. I keep them in the fridge for snacks, though I usually end up eating the whole package
    Last edited by Max[imilian]; 03-23-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Pemmican.

No sarcasm!

Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    I get your sarcasm. You sound like you are sick of eating meat. Yes?
    No sarcasm at all! I like meat I guess I'm just not feeling very creative. I've been eating the same stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast