Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm so confused: Primal, Paleo, PaNu, CaveGirl.... oh my gosh... page

Sheryl Bowman is offline Junior Member

I'm so confused: Primal, Paleo, PaNu, CaveGirl.... oh my gosh...

I read that heavy cream is "diesel" to start my day/avoid dairy; avoid nightshades/eat nightshades; don't count calories/keep track; eat until full/stay a little hungry; eat nuts/eat nuts sparingly. Holy Cow. I thought this was going to be easier than counting every gram of what I eat like I have for years. And, in the meantime, while I'm trying to read everything (incl. Why We Get Fat, and What To Do About It; Primal Blueprint, etc.)... I'm slowly gaining weight. Eat less, eat more? How do I know if I don't weigh & measure. Increast fat %... uh, how do I know percentage if I don't measure somehow? I refuse to give up. If I continue gaining, I'll regroup and start weighing/measuring/documenting. OK, rant over. I'll keep on reading, cooking, eating, adjusting...... and, hopefully at some point start losing fat (5'5, 149#'s, 64y/o). Sherry
    ps-yes I work out, I'd say "moderately", no heavy cardio...
    Last edited by Sheryl Bowman; 03-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    The problem with everything is that the sample set - the human lifespan - is so incredibly complex. I'd honestly be surprised if any one "lifestyle" was 100% ideal. Lots of choices people make are to correct or adapt to their individual situations - some people are affected by nightshades and dairy; some aren't. Some people avoid pork and beef because of livestock handling ethics. Some people are zero carb carnivores, some are veggie heavy pescatarians.

Right now it comes back to the old psychologist standby: How does it make you feel?

canio6 Guest
    My advice is read the book and ignore the forums. Once you have the basic concepts down see how it works. If you have specific question at that point consult the forum.

The double-edge sword of primal seems to be it's flexibility. I can eat heavy cream and lose weight. Others can't lose weight without cutting dairy. I am not bothered by grain but do not eat it. Others getting crippling stomach pain if they eat it. Others eat starchy veg with great results. Others go very low carb. All are primal. That is the great flexibility. It also leads to confusion. So like with anything, get the basics down (read the book) and then tweak to find what works for you (this is where the forums rock)

edit...so yeah...what carlh said. I should really have read his reply first lol.

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sherry, it's difficult to come up with a blanket answer to this, when everyone has a different body, a different food culture, different activity levels, hormone levels etc. And, everyone has different priorities, too. If losing fat is an urgent priority for you, the surest way I have ever seen is to ditch everything except meat, eggs, and non-starchy vegetables. Then, fill your plate with veggies at every meal, and then add your animal protein. Do this for a while, without counting/tracking your food OR your weight and measurements. Let's say 3 weeks minimum. Then, if you want to experiment with dairy, nuts, fruits, etc and you don't mind risking slowing down your fat loss progress, add things back a little at a time, one thing at a time and see if that makes a difference for you. I know the for myself, I can maintain my weight very well eating some dairy, some nuts, and occasionally some fruit, but I don't lose that way. It may be different for other people.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    edit...so yeah...what carlh said. I should really have read his reply first lol.
    I love when people validate my inane ramblings. Whew. It either means that I'm not insane or that we're both equally insane. Works for me. <3

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    People like to over-complicate it. Really.

Here's my opinion, in a nutshell: if you can hunt it or gather it in nature, it's food. Primal is about how good your life can be. It's about eating foods you like and doing things you enjoy -- and getting healthy in the process! (sun, play, sex, etc.)

Longer version:

You can't eat 4000 calories a day and expect to lose weight just by restricting carbs (unless you're doing a lot of athletic activity, or you have a ton of lean body mass, in which case it could be appropriate). I've tried. Eat to satiety. The cool thing about PB is that your body will tell you when it's hungry, and it will tell you when it's full. Plus, are you going to sit on your couch and eat 1200 calories in hard-boiled eggs? No. Could you sit on your couch and eat 1200 calories of bon-bons? Hell yes. The absolute KEY is you need a deficit -- but not a HUGE deficit. If you're overweight, eating primally should create enough of a deficit compared to where you were before. If you're already very lean it's a different issue. However, a PB diet should be enough to take correct an overweight person's situation.

Also, be reasonable about your potions. I'm the kind of guy who could eat 20oz of steak in a sitting. However, if only 8oz is in front of me, I'll eat that and be satisfied. So, I will prepare a meal of 8oz steak, some broccoli, and a slice of butter. If I want more food after I eat that around a half hour later, I'll have more. Usually I don't.

Primal isn't Atkins. It might be lower carb than a standard American diet, but that doesn't mean don't eat carbs ever. Personally, I eat potatoes pretty liberally because I lift weights. And because they're delicious and I like them.

Higher quality foods, such as organic produce or grass fed beef, provide better results. You're consuming healthier organisms.

Heavy cream to start the day... I just drink black coffee. I'm too lazy to avoid nightshades or find out what they are.

Finally, your actual "weight" might not change that much, or that quickly, but your body composition might be changing. My results got much better when I stopped obsessing over things and just did the basics. Critically, I focus on fitness rather than weight (this is hard to do, I know).
    Last edited by cavemanj; 03-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    like carlh mentioned do what works for you. i do count calories, mainly to see my ratio between fats, carbs and protein. i seem to feel the best when i eat 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein and about 10% carbs. my carbs range from 25 to 85 grams a day. i use livestrong.org. i do not input my info daily, but i do it about 3 times a week just to see where i am. i lift twice a week and walk about three hours a week, i am a recovering chronic runner so i do some running as well. . . i cannot help it.

Mike7 is offline Senior Member
    Honeslty you got to tinker your diet, your self. Learn from your mistakes, and you feel good about it afterward.

Thanks, junebu8, a plan... I can do that. Thanks (and to everyone who took the time to reply).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I appreciate your time.... thx, Sherry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast