Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total newb question page

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

Total newb question

Primal Fuel
    ok, so I'm a total newb to the whole "exercise" thing, I've always just lost weight by not eating. I'm trying to do bodyweight stuff (because I hate the gym) but I am REALLY weak (also, I weigh a LOT so, ya know that is part of it). I can only do maybe 10 (knee) pushups at a time and I was wondering, is it ok to randomly do a few pushups throughout the day instead of doing a "routine". I always feel like such a loser when I do a routine. I can only do a couple pushups, no situps, no pullups, a couple squats. It takes me like, 5 minutes, max, and I'm worn out. I always feel like I should at least do like, 30 minutes of exercise, or it isn't even worth it. But I just CAN'T do that much LHT. So I was wondering, would it lead to "doing to much, too fast" (a curse of mine) if I just randomly did a few pushups, etc whenever I felt like it, instead of doing a "routine" three times a week (or whatever).

I know I'm a total newbie, but exercise has never been my "thing", and I know that I need to do it, I'm just so far out of shape, I don't even know where to BEGIN.

thanks!

Nethru is offline Member
    Grease the Groove baby!

Yeah do a few throughout the day will definetly help you out. Just keep at it you will get stronger and stronger the more you do it.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Definitely do that! As a friend of mine says, "do what you can, when you can." I was like that when I lost 50 lbs 5 years ago. I would also do the same for moving slowly more frequently.
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    I've done it. I am a gamer (WoW) and used to do pushups any time my toon was flying from place to place. I just did as many pushups as I could. I am not sure if this is effective or as effective as a planned workout though. I'd be interested to hear from those who actually know about this whole exercise thing.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Another thing you can consider is doing wall pushups if you`re bored and need to change it up. Just stand facing a wall and lower yourself towards it and push back up. The farther your feet are away from the wall the tougher it is. You can get into a semi squat position while brushing your teeth, contract your abs for a few seconds and release and repeat as many times as you want while sitting down or standing. I have a friend who started working out and eating better a little over a year ago. When he started he was probably around 300 lbs. and he could do 2 push ups. Now he does over 100 consecutively and weighs around 170. The important thing is to start. Do whatever you can with what you`ve got. Over time you`ll gain strength and momentum and when you feel yourself getting stronger it might motivate you to keep going.
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I've done it. I am a gamer (WoW) and used to do pushups any time my toon was flying from place to place. I just did as many pushups as I could. I am not sure if this is effective or as effective as a planned workout though. I'd be interested to hear from those who actually know about this whole exercise thing.
    What I said above about "do what you can, when you can" came from a friend who used to be a personal trainer who does follow a primal lifestyle.
    Georgette

Thanks everyone! I'm so afraid of "overdoing it", because I do kind of have an obsessive mentality. But I figured a few pushups/squats/jumping jacks/etc every few hours is better than trying to do way too much three times a week, and pushing to try to do as much as possible in my "workout time".

I did some wall pushups yesterday, with the focus on keeping my abs tight during them, and boy do my abs feel it today! I can't do "planks" yet, so I've been doing kind of wall planks, pushing my feet back away from the wall and holding myself up by leaning forward on the wall. Hard to explain, but it's been making my abs hurt too. Not in a super painful way, but in a "oh, I guess there were muscles there" kind of way.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long road, but it feels good to be moving towards my goals in a realistic way.

justjoem is offline Junior Member

You can do it!

Have you downloaded Markís free E-book, Primal Blueprint Fitness? If not, get it, read it, follow it. I started at about the same place you are. I have now lost over 80 pounds and have been exercising faithfully for about 5 months. I did my first real pull up last week. My last previous pull up was sometime in high school more than 35 years ago. I didnít really believe that I would ever do one again. However, starting at the very basic levels of the 5 primal movements I have shown really great progress. I started by doing as much of a workout as I could, and then completed it as I could through the day. I now do all of the exercises at one sitting. So, donít get discouraged by how little you can do. You will be surprised by how rapidly will improve if you just get started and stick with the plan.

I read it, but it was kind of confusing. I mean, he says what exercises to do, but I don't know what most of those exercises ARE. like, for instance, how does one do a leg assisted pull up? I get the whole "stand on a chair" thing, but wouldn't that be working your legs, not your arms? I don't know, I'm not very good at following any "routine" like that, because I get so discouraged when I can't DO anything he's saying to. I think I need a person actually there with me going "now pull in your stomach, focus on your arms being such and such angle, etc". It's not like I can afford a personal trainer though :/ I guess I just get so frustrated at where I WANT to be, instead of focusing on where I AM.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    I guess I just get so frustrated at where I WANT to be, instead of focusing on where I AM.
    But you WILL be where you WANT to be if you stick with it. If you don`t you never will be. You`ll look back soon and you`ll be so satisfied with yourself and your progress! As for the leg on the chair it`s there as sort of a spot; you use it to help you get up and over time you lessen the amount of weight you`re placing on it and eventually you`ll do them unassisted. Another option are resistance bands...you can work your lats and back with those as well as with dumbells Awesome job on the squats and the wall pushups and planks.
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast