Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: birthday cake? page

junebu8 is offline Senior Member

birthday cake?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so it's time for my daughter's birthday, and though I fully realize that cake is not a primal food, I'm hoping to lean toward something more primal-friendly, mainly because we just celebrated my son's birthday with a traditional death by chocolate cake that left us feeling...well...dead, for a few days afterward. Also, she asked for a banana cake, with coconut and nuts in it, which sounds like a reasonable start, with cream cheese frosting, which also seems somewhat doable. Does anyone have a low sugar, low-grain/grain free banana cake recipe that they've tested? For the frosting I was thinking whipped cream cheese and butter, sweetened mostly with stevia, and a little powdered sugar for texture? Or maybe honey?

I'm open to ideas!

June

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    Coconut flour and splenda for baking? I'm new to this but I did recently search "muffin" on here and I ended up making a blueberry muffin recipe that had coconut flour and banans in it. I forgot to add the stevia so it wasn't sweet but it still tasted okay. You can try experimenting with that recipe.

ETA Happy Birthday to your little ones
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

canio6 Guest
    Check this out: Girl Gone Primal: The Banquet! & Recipe: Chocolate Cake 4 Dummiez

She has a chocolate with berry cake recipe which looks a lot like a banana split to me. I am sure you could add banana and coconut with no issues. It is about half way down the page.

or this: The Food Lovers' Primal Palate: Happy Birthday Hayley - Dark Chocolate Coconut Cake

dark chocolate coconut cake from primal-palate, which looks damned good too.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    My fav cream cheese frosting is equal amounts of cream cheese and butter, with half as much powdered sugar (or powdered stevia). It's sweet, but keeps the tangyness of the cream cheese.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I have a great almond flour banana cake recipe, and you could definitely add nuts, top with cream cheese frosting (mine only has 2 tbsp of maple syrup/honey) and toasted coconut! I'll dig out the recipe if you want it.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    I love the Healthy Indulgences blog for low sugar treats! She does use sugar substitutes, but the less-harmful ones (xylitol and ertyhritol).
    The only banana item on there is banana nut muffins using coconut flour, but you could totally do a simple cream cheese frosting on top of those! I know you asked for cake, but I think cupcakes can be just as great, and I often prefer them to help with portion control. You can stick a candle in each (frosted) one and arrange them on a plate for the blowing out of the candles bit

Healthy Indulgences: bananas
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I bet if you start with this, you can add the flavors she's asking for: The Spunky Coconut: Vanilla Bean Cake grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    This is what I asked to be baked for my birthday:

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
    14 oz Francois Pralus<http://www.chocolats-pralus.com> Le 100% Criollo Dark Chocolate Bar 100g chopped chocolate

(available at Bi-Rite<http://biritemarket.com> in San Francisco or Francois Pralus Le 100% Criollo Dark Chocolate Bar 100g - Wally's Wine and Spirits
    )

3/4 C. plus 2 TBS of unsalted butter
    10 egg yolks
    1 tsp stevia
    1 TBS vanilla,
    1 tsp lemon juice,
    10 egg whites,
    1/2 tsp stevia,
    2 C. heavy cream whipped

How to Prepare:
    Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler or in microwave. Allow to slightly cool. Beat yolks and 1 tsp stevia until smooth, stir in vanilla and lemon juice then blend in chocolate mixture. Blend egg whites in large mixer bowl until peaks are formed. Gradually add 1/2 tsp stevia, beat until stiff peaks form. Stir 1 C. whites into chocolate mixture and then fold in remaining whites. Pour into 10-12" pan, greased, floured, wax paper lined. Bake at 250 for 2 1/2 hours, allow to completely cool before serving.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    If you do a banana cake you really don't need any sugar or subs, the bananas are WAY sweet enough!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made this banana bread once and everyone loved it! Not totally low sugar, but you could probably cut the honey even more:
    Banana bread | Comfy Belly
    Maybe you can just double the recipe and spread it out in a cake pan?

1/4 cup of honey (or other sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave; you can go lower here too if you need to)
    3 tablespoons of butter (coconut oil works too)
    2 eggs
    2 very ripe bananas
    3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    2 1/2 cups of almond flour (or almond meal)
    Optional: 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit

Preheat oven to 310 degrees F. (Sometimes I go to 315 to speed it up)
    Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.
    Now add dry ingredients and mix well again.
    Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the loaf. If you’re making muffins, cut the time to 25 minutes.
    Cool and cut, or store covered. I usually double the recipe and store the extra loaves in the refrigerator.
    "Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast