Trig. 165
    Lipo. Pro. 8
    insulin 5.3 ulU/mL
    Magnesium 40 ppm
    Homocysteine 9.0 nmol/mL
    Lipid Peroxides 2.21 nmol/mL
    Potassium 3,385 ppm
    Vit D 39 ng/mL

I'm new to PB and am considering embarking on it. Long history with hypertension, recently added
    tachacardia. A host of testing showed no findings or cause. But my Magnesium has been very low
    and despite oral and topical dosing, I can't bring it up much, which I sense is a major factor in my symptoms. Currently on two blood pressure meds. Was exercising, but got scared with high resting pulse all the time (around 100) walking around in my house, so stopped, though now doc. says to resume without worry. But of course he'll have me on these meds. indefinitely. What do you think people? I'm particularly interested in my seeming inablitily to absorb mag.
    Last edited by selfkindness; 03-23-2011 at 12:17 PM.

DJinNC is offline Member
    You didn't include ranges but your Vit D is low. What supps do you take? Exercise should help your BP; just pace yourself; maybe just walking.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    What kind of diet have you been eating? Is it your basic low fat, high carb type of thing? You need to get those Trigs down, your vitamin D up and your HDL up for starters. You want to get off of those meds or you will be a slave to them for the rest of your life.

Don't be afraid to exercise. Your body will tell you how much you can do. It will in time lower your resting heart rate. It took time to get into poor shape and it's going to take time to get into good shape. Allow yourself that time, one day at a time.
    Last edited by Forever Young; 03-23-2011 at 10:53 AM.

selfkindness is offline Junior Member
    I've been on a mixed carb and meats diet, nuts and seeds, eggs, lots of whole grain cereals, and fruits. Almost entirely organic. I did bring my D up, but as you and Forever Young say, it is still low. From what I've read about mag. and potasium, though, I wondered if that was the mail culprit of my fast heart rate and hypertesnsion. And I also wonder about my low HDL's contributing to the B.P.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    HDL and BP are unrelated, though PB tends to correct both conditions. I can't find references for potassium and magnesium in ppm, and I can't figure out what the conversion factor is for the ranges I can find, but that would really be my first guess. You don't mention any vegetables, which are a primary source of those two electrolytes. You'll want to lose the whole grains ASAP, as the phytic acid in them bind to minerals like magnesium. This means that even though they have ample magnesium you don't absorb it; same with nuts. There are other reasons to avoid grains of course, but they're not entirely relevant to the point at hand

I think they tested me for intracellular mag. and pot. where I have consistently come up short. I am eating about a single serving of veggies a day, sometimes two. But clearly lacking in that dept. How does the PB bring up HDLs?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the answer to your latest question, but you can search the archives of the forum for countless stories where all cholesterol numbers have improved, including dramatic increases in HDL.

How's your gut? Do you have digestive symptoms (constipation, pains, gas or worse (like UC, Crohn's)), neurological symptoms (fatigue, brain fog, distractedness, depression, anxiety, or worse (like bipolar, schizophrenia)) that would be indicative of Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS)? Poor absorption usually goes along with a GAPS condition (of family of conditions). Low stomach acid often contributes (often, but not always, indicated by heartburn).

Bone broth for minerals, animal fats (especially grassfed butter, eggs, fermented Cod Liver Oil...) for providing the fat-soluble vitamins that allow you to absorb & use those minerals.

I'm chronically Mg deficient, even on this diet, but supplement Natural Calm daily (as I remember!). Our soil is very, very deficient now and that's why Mg deficiency is so common, even among those eating boatloads of organic veggies (as so many of us should).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    I started out PB with high blood pressure. One day it hit like 180/100 -- scared the crap out of me. Yikes! (mind you, this was on a low fat vegan diet).

Four months in and I'm good, down around 128/72, which goes up about as high as 133/80. Not bad. Pulse dropped to around 68 from like 90 something.

My advice is this:

- When you're ready, utilize intermittent fasting. I think it does wonders for your blood pressure. The Leangains method works for me. (eat between 1:00 and 8:00).
    - Eat fats and protein liberally
    - Exercise, but not chronically
    - Eat high quality food -- not just 'low carb'. (i.e. Atkins bars, artificial sweetener, etc.)
    - Sun, lower stress, have some fun. This is important!!! It's not optional!
    - Reduce the amount you drink. Heavy drinking lowers and raises your blood pressure.
    - Eat veggies. Don't just do all meat. Eat some coconut, avocado, olive oil, etc.
    - Vitamin D, multi- and I take zinc

That's about it. I didn't take any medication to correct it -- just adopted a primal lifestyle. I drink boatloads of coffee, too. My carbs are normally cycled -- so I might do low carb one day, and then higher carbs (tubers and squash only) on a higher carb day before and after lifting weights.

Not sure about the other stuff.

FWIW, my fiance has 'primary cause' hypertension. She follows a low fat vegetarian diet. I suspect her lack of eating fat, along with eating a lot of carbs and chronic cardio contributes to it. Added bonus: when she was diagnosed with high blood pressure, the doctor told her to eat a LOWER fat diet even though it was already low fat to begin with! So now she just takes medication for it.

I decided to go the PB route (exactly the opposite of what the doctor recommended) and low and behold it worked.
    Last edited by cavemanj; 03-23-2011 at 01:38 PM.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    HDL is basically a function of how much (healthy) fat you are consuming. Since on the PB your fat intake will tend to go up, so will your HDL.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes I do have some of those neurological symptoms you mentioned. Certainly brain fog and anxiety.
    I didn't connect that to gut issues. Makes sense though. Not sure what GAPS is.
    For your Mag. def. have youi tried the topical mag. oil? It is supposed to work well as it circumvents the gut and absorbtion issues, however, in my case it only raised my levels marginally.
    I do take Magna-Calm daily. Thanks so much Mama.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I don't know the answer to your latest question, but you can search the archives of the forum for countless stories where all cholesterol numbers have improved, including dramatic increases in HDL.

How's your gut? contributes (often, but not always, indicated by heartburn). Do you have digestive symptoms (constipation, pains, gas or worse (like UC, Crohn's)), neurological symptoms (fatigue, brain fog, distractedness, depression, anxiety, or worse (like bipolar, schizophrenia)) that would be indicative of Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS)? Poor absorption usually goes along with a GAPS condition (of family of conditions). Low stomach acid often

Bone broth for minerals, animal fats (especially grassfed butter, eggs, fermented Cod Liver Oil...) for providing the fat-soluble vitamins that allow you to absorb & use those minerals.

I'm chronically Mg deficient, even on this diet, but supplement Natural Calm daily (as I remember!). Our soil is very, very deficient now and that's why Mg deficiency is so common, even among those eating boatloads of organic veggies (as so many of us should).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast