Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probiotics page

Cogs is offline Junior Member

Probiotics

Shop Now
    I began my Primal lifestyle on 3/14, so i am still very new. I know that my digestive system is adjusting to the good stuff i putting into it, but i do not feel it is working properly. Is constipation common, and should i be introducing some probiotics to my system?

thanks for your help!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    any shift in your way of eating is going to shift your digestion in some way. things will likely work themselves out --pun intended-- but adding a probiotic could certainly help. at the very least, it won't do any damage.

Cogs is offline Junior Member
    thanks! any suggestions for a good probiotic?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i take PB8, which has billions of cultures...not sure how it stands up against others. what you're eating matters more than anything, so i don't see a need to dish out a ton of money for probiotics. i actually only take mine on occasion to keep up on my gut health.

not sure what others are taking. i know mark puts out some great products.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Probiotics don't do anything useful.
    previous thread on the probiotics SCAM

The answer to constipation is more animal fat.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Constipation is, indeed, common early on in primal/paleo eating. One of Robb Wolf's podcast guests talked about this recently -- I think it was Chris Kresser, episode 67?? Anybody recall??

I've just started making my own raw milk yogurt, specifically for the probiotic benefit. Other fermented foods like kefir, kombucha, saurkraut, etc. offer the same benefits...not the store-bought ones, though, which are rarely fermented these days and are processed at high heats that kill off the beneficial bacteria.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Anedoctally I can say they've helped me. I had chronic yeast and with celiac disease I didn't always digest and absorb nutrients properly even after several years living gluten free and eating whole foods.
    Last edited by O_O; 03-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.

O_O
    If you're constipated you might want to try psyllium seed husks or some fresh ground flax meal. Make sure to drink extra water. A few other high fiber low digestible carb foods that will help are avocado, raspberries and blackberries.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    If you're constipated you might want to try psyllium seed husks or some fresh ground flax meal. Make sure to drink extra water. A few other high fiber low digestible carb foods that will help are avocado, raspberries and blackberries.
    If constipation is due to gut imbalance, meaning too many of the "bad" guys, then psyllium and flax will feed them and just make matters worse. I think homemade fermented foods or bottled probiotics are better. A good one IMO is the 11-strain formula from Custom Probiotics - highest potency Acidophilus and Bifidus probiotics supplements.. Expensive upfront but a high bacterial count so they last a long time.

O_O
    If you just can't poo psyllium or flax is fine. I don't think too many people will be able to self diagnois themselves with too many bad or good bacteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast