Thread: Primal Challenge Journal MMS131 page

MMS131 is offline Junior Member

Primal Challenge Journal MMS131

Primal Fuel

I've been reading MDA for three or four months now, trying it out to various degrees for short periods of time. I know that my current lifestyle choices are not working for my health and wellbeing; however, committing to low-carb has been very difficult for me. Although I don't really eat bread, pasta, potatoes, or rice at this point, I have a major sugar habit (cookies, cake, ICE CREAM) and also enjoy oatmeal and dairy. The problem with these foods, especially the sweets, is that I can't seem to eat them in moderation. However many times I binge and then promise myself I'll do better tomorrow, I start out ok and then am inevitably faced with sugar temptation once again. A small bowl of ice cream leads to half the carton… In addition, my mood swings are awful. I go from happy with high energy to feeling sad, tired and hopeless.

My exercise regimen has also left much to be desired as of late. I have bounced back and forth from “chronic cardio” (5 or more hours per week, sometimes in two hour sessions) to doing little to nothing at all. Currently, I’m in a little to no exercise phase.

My goals in starting PB are as follows:

- Gain control of my eating habits by following the PB principles. Specifically:

-No refined carbs/sugar

-Lots of fresh vegetables

-Lots of meat, fish, eggs, and healthy fats

-IF at least once a week

-Minimal dairy (Greek yogurt only)

-Watch alcohol consumption

- Focus on weight training and HIIT

Current Stats:

- Female

- 25 years old

- 5”5’

- 130 lbs

Goal Weight: 120 lbs

This is my first time ever posting in a forum like this; I look forward to interacting with all of you and hopefully having great success to report in the next 30 days.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Hey, welcome! I wish I'd found about this way of life when I was 25! Good luck!

Thanks for the Hello PrimalK!

So, yesterday went relatively well, although I didn't really eat much during the first half of the day as I wasn't feeling so good. I had a work meeting last night, so no exercise...

10/22 Food:

-low carb protein drink - packaged (I know this isn't exactly primal, but I didn't have a ton of options... Better than the bagel that was the alternative, I hope)

-Spinach and feta chicken sausage, big serving of steamed broccoli

Yesterday didn't go too badly. A work-lunch at a nice restaurant was a bit complicated to navigate, but I think I did ok. I for sure avoided the bread basket at the talbe, which is difficult at this particular restaurant with warm, perfectly seasoned rolls. Anyway:

10/23 food:

-coffee, green tea

-lobster bisque soup (I'm sure there's some heavy cream in here...)

-cobb salad with romaine lettuce, bacon, hard boiled egg, chicken, avacado, tomatoes, and blue cheese - minimal amount of a house dressing (oil based)

-another big salad at dinnertime with romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomato, mushroom, feta, and a vinegarette dressing

-4 oz of red wine

There was a big plate of cookies at my office that was slightly hard to resist, so I tried to think through the insulin response my body would have to them. A coworker even scoffed at me when I turned one down, but thinking about the glucose to be stored in my fat cells helped me stay firm.

I am currently cooking some chicken drenched in oil with seasonings for lunch. Definitely need to stock up on some primal foods: eggs, nitrate-free bacon, other high quality red meat with a higher fat count than the chicken.

I'm supposed to have dinner tonight with a friend. We rotate who chooses the restaurant, and since I'm going to her part of town, it's her turn to choose. I'm a little nervous about this, but I keep telling myself that they must have some meat or fish and vegetable selections. This friend is very active and thin (maybe 105 on a "fat day") and loves to eat, so I just have to stay strong and enjoy my entree without drooling over her pasta or risotto or other yummy but not primal fare.