Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ezekial breads and low carb wraps page

sprintsnail is offline Junior Member

Ezekial breads and low carb wraps

Shop Now
    Recently a friend told me about "flourless" breads. A quick visit to the website revealed they use sprouted grains, alfalfa I think. Is this an acceptable PB item? The only thing I really miss w/ the diet is an occasional sandwich. Also, what about low carb wraps?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    No and no. Gluten is NOT your friend and neither item is Primal.

There are some Primal bread substitutes on the forum. Do a search for "sandwich" or "bread".

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    Wow, that author's kind of an asshole.

First, the bread tastes just fine - it's actually quite good. No, it's not Primal, but it tastes good. Second, the bread never claims to follow the instructions to the letter, but that it's "inspired by it"...what's the problem? This douche just has an attack agenda (as obviously set forth by the nobeliefs.com web address).

As for the whole feces thing, I don't know if this guy realizes it but a great number of African and Middle Eastern communities dry and store animal dung because it's an excellent fuel for fires. The "human" fuel thing was solely a reference to a ritual defilement.

Here's the particulars of that realization, compounded: This brainless wonder points out that the Ezekiel company didn't read far enough because, wow, they're told to use human dung right there! If the author read a couple verses further he'd have seen this:

The LORD said, “In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them.”

14 Then I said, “Not so, Sovereign LORD! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No impure meat has ever entered my mouth.”

15 “Very well,” he said, “I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement.”
    Jeez. Weak sauce, Jim Walker.
    edit: also, on a page one level up, it has this "disclaimer" in tiny, tiny type at the bottom of the page: "For those who think the Washington News articles represents reality, please look up the term satire." So at best it's fake and deceptive.
    Last edited by carlh; 03-23-2011 at 09:15 AM.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    not primal!

If you eat following WAPF guidelines, I guess it'd be OK, but it's primal unless you're putting it in your 20%. It's definitely not paleo.

Tasted it once...thought it was terrible. Definitely not worth eating, IMO.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Not on the Primal Blueprint plan.

It has soy and/or corn.

Good luck with that.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you're active, lean, fit, and not metabolically deranged, I think it would be acceptable to have a slice or two of sprouted grain bread after doing some sort of strenuous exercise. The general consensus amongst the paleo crowd is that starch is best when eaten post-workout. If, after working out, you really wanted this sort of bread in place of foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams, I wouldn't see a problem with that. Just keep in mind that its carbohydrate content is quite high and that it does contain gluten (although the harmfulness of gluten from sprouted grains is debatable).

If you're trying to lose weight or reverse any medical condition, I'd say stay away from it until your condition has improved.
    Last edited by tarek; 03-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    If you're active, lean, fit, and not metabolically deranged, I think it would be acceptable to have a slice or two of sprouted grain bread after doing some sort of strenuous exercise. The general consensus amongst the paleo crowd is that starch is best when eaten post-workout. If, after working out, you really wanted this sort of bread in place of foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams, I wouldn't see a problem with that. Just keep in mind that its carbohydrate content is quite high and that it does contain gluten (although the harmfulness of gluten from sprouted grains is debatable).

If you're trying to lose weight or reverse any medical condition, I'd say stay away from it until your condition has improved.
    +1

>Tasted it once...thought it was terrible. Definitely not worth eating, IMO.

The bread toasted golden brown with something like Earth Balance(the soy free is best obviously) buttery spread is pretty damn good actually. Or, if someone did not want to go the rest of their life without being able to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich every once in a while(which I see giving up for the rest of your life kind of ridiculous, unless you don't like grilled cheese sandwiches) and wanted to use a half way healthy bread(if there really is one). I've have grilled sandwiches with Ezekial and they are very good. I won't be making them like I used to though.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Wow, that author's kind of an asshole.
    I thought he was hilarious. I do have to complain about his assertion that if you eat your own dung, it's gluten-free. That actually depends, since gluten is so hard to break down, much that you eat passes on through. I wonder how many passes are required (LOL) before your turds are really gluten-free?

Gordo

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat EZ bread all the time.

Ingredients of EZ bread: Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Rye, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Oats, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Corn, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt

That is a recipe for disaster for folks who are sensitive to grains and/or gluten. I don't care how "healthy" they say it is because it is sprouted. For some, it is still poison and not primal.

I loved sandwiches, but I do much better leaving ALL grains, gluten-free or not, out of my diet. I don't think that is ridiculous at all. And I don't think it is impossible. Just don't buy it if you want to stay grain-free. Make bread with almond flour or coconut flour instead.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I try not to find replacements for bread. It just would make me crave the real thing more. Plus plain bread without what you cover it with (butter/spread) and what you fill it with (meats and veggies) just doesn't taste so good. Would you eat plain bread, pasta, rice? I wouldn't but I like the stuff that I used to eat with it. So I just stick with that.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast