Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about juice? page

Dullahan is offline Member

What about juice?

Shop Now
    What about juice? Fruit and veg juice. Are they primal i cant imagine that they are.
    It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Technically, yes. In reality, no. Juice is a highly concentrated fructose source, without any of the fruit cellulose or fiber to blunt the absorption. Juice will cause a spike in insulin release. Also, the majority of juices contain added sugar, HFCS, and other stuff. There is absolutely no need for juice in the diet. A Tb or so in a tall glass of water for a bit of flavor? OK every now and then. But not for everyday consumption.

I also think that juice perpetuates my desire for sweets.

Dullahan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Technically, yes. In reality, no. Juice is a highly concentrated fructose source, without any of the fruit cellulose or fiber to blunt the absorption. Juice will cause a spike in insulin release. Also, the majority of juices contain added sugar, HFCS, and other stuff. There is absolutely no need for juice in the diet. A Tb or so in a tall glass of water for a bit of flavor? OK every now and then. But not for everyday consumption.

I also think that juice perpetuates my desire for sweets.
    What about juice that you make yourself?
    It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.
    Henry Ward Beecher

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Fruit juice is generally frowned upon. Way to much sugar and its better to just eat the entire fruit. I suppose primitive man couldve squeezed some juice out but I imagine they just eat the whole thing.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I used to adore my juicer. Would mix apples, oranges, kiwi, cup of blueberries, spinach, carrots, etc and drink the whole thing.

So the equivalent of 4 fruits = 60 g carbs. For a drink. No wonder I gained 5 lbs on the 'healthy' juices I made myself.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to drink juice I would suggest fresh made and keeping it to 4-6 ounces. I didn't gain weight with juicing.

My favourites:
    Red delicious apple with lemon
    Apple with carrot
    Fresh pineapple
    Orange with strawberries or raspberries
    Veg Medley with tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, celery, onion, parsley
    Celery and cucumber

DJinNC is offline Member
    I think juice is basically frowned upon. That being said I do drink organic tomato juice and the occasional prune juice.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    What about juice that you make yourself?
    Only if you put crap in your juice.

I'm not a big fan of juice but the occasional smoothie is a good treat that's not as bad as a chemical laden crap soda

My hubby drinks juice on the weekends like it is going out of style. We finally brought it up this weekend. I kind of feel that since I am now losing weight I can talk nutrition. He was surprised to hear the concerns with so much fruit juice, even if it is 100% juice.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    It's really easy to find stuff that's 100% juice. Just look at the labels. They proclaim it pretty loud if it is. But yeah, you're getting all the fructose and none of the fiber. It's way too easy to overdo it with carbs.

I like 100% cranberry juice (expensive and ridiculously tart!) diluted in lots of water, or grapefruit juice....but I prefer to avoid all juice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast