Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macronutrient Calculations page

Macronutrient Calculations

Shop Now
    I am finally getting around to chapter 8 in the book where Mark talks about macronutrient calculations for weight loss. The thing is, my weight is fine but I would like to reduce body fat and increase muscle. According to his calculation I should consume no more than 1,100 calories a day which is definitely not enough. I am 5'8" and weigh 138 lbs. which I have no problem with. What bothers me is that I used to be leaner/thinner at the exact same weight. So how should I calculate my macronutrient requirements?

I understand that I should not have to worry about it and just eat until I am full, but unfortunately that is not working for me right now. I can eat tons of protein, fat, and veggies and still feel hungry. Soooooooooooooo I need a bit of a guideline as I am adjusting and hopefully healing my body. I am also still eating ZC so for me it would not be a reduction in carbs, but an increase in carbs.

Should I just figure 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body mass, 50 grams of carbs, and then add fat to come up to 1,500 to 1,800 calories??

Thoughts?

TIA,
    Astraia

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Are you lifting heavy and sprinting? It's true that diet is the bigger factor in leanness, but if you're looking to build muscle, you'd probably benefit from 3 bodyweight/weightlifting workouts plus one sprint session per week, and maybe some long walks on your rest days.

ZC buggers fat loss in many people; the carb consumption = bodyfat guideline is oversimplified. Helpful for many beginners, mind you, but far from the whole story and not effective for everyone.

I think your proposal re 1g protein + 50g carbs + all else you need as fat is pretty sensible. Bear in mind that if you start working out, particularly doing heavly lifting, you're likely to need more food -- and that's FINE.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Are you lifting heavy and sprinting? It's true that diet is the bigger factor in leanness, but if you're looking to build muscle, you'd probably benefit from 3 bodyweight/weightlifting workouts plus one sprint session per week, and maybe some long walks on your rest days.

ZC buggers fat loss in many people; the carb consumption = bodyfat guideline is oversimplified. Helpful for many beginners, mind you, but far from the whole story and not effective for everyone.

I think your proposal re 1g protein + 50g carbs + all else you need as fat is pretty sensible. Bear in mind that if you start working out, particularly doing heavly lifting, you're likely to need more food -- and that's FINE.
    I do body weight exercises - pretty close to what Mark suggests in his fitness e-book. I am not sure what you mean by "ZC buggers fat loss". Could you clarify?

Thanks!!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser, and others have pointed out that going zero carb or very low carb doesn't always result in fat loss, or may cease to do so after a period of time. When people add back in some (healthful) carbohydrate, their fat loss resumes.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser, and others have pointed out that going zero carb or very low carb doesn't always result in fat loss, or may cease to do so after a period of time. When people add back in some (healthful) carbohydrate, their fat loss resumes.
    Gotcha - thanks!!

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, VLC / ZC dropped my fat loss. I had to add veggies and some sweet potatoes back in.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astraia.stavros View Post
    According to his calculation I should consume no more than 1,100 calories a day
    If you goal is to lose 2-3 pounds of fat per week, yes. But that's not your goal.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I was (sort of) in the same boat as you. I didn't necessarily need to lose weight, just needed to get rid of body fat. My calculations would have been about 1,800 calories, but I eat 3,000 calories per day and am losing fat at a steady pace. And my weight hasn't changed in 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    If you goal is to lose 2-3 pounds of fat per week, yes. But that's not your goal.
    Well, I do have fat to lose but also muscle to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I was (sort of) in the same boat as you. I didn't necessarily need to lose weight, just needed to get rid of body fat. My calculations would have been about 1,800 calories, but I eat 3,000 calories per day and am losing fat at a steady pace. And my weight hasn't changed in 3 months.
    Wow, I would love to lose fat while eating 3,000 calories a day. I really don't care about the scale but go mostly by measurements and how I look in the mirror and right now I don't like how I look in the mirror.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast