Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can defrosted meat be cooked rare or medium rare? page 2

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Well all those that die of it aren't going to be able to go on here and write "This shit killed me"
    Only until I reach Lvl 12 Necromancer!!!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Safest way to defrost meat is in the fridge -- it'll take overnight, and it's ok to put it back in the freeze. After that, in a sink full of cold water. Like danaandvicky said you really just have to worry about the bacteria on the surface, which is how we can eat even CAFO meat rare so long as the surface gets cooked. Just be aware that a burger, and anything else with ground/mince meat is all surface.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    Only until I reach Lvl 12 Necromancer!!!
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    Safest way to defrost meat is in the fridge -- it'll take overnight, and it's ok to put it back in the freeze.
    Yes, it's safest to thaw it in the fridge, but you'll have a major decrease in quality if you then freeze it again, although it will still be safe if you've handled it properly. If it has warmed past 4 Celsius for any significant period of time (guidelines are 2 hours), you can't re-freeze it safely.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Well all those that die of it aren't going to be able to go on here and write "This shit killed me"
    Rofl

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    I defrost meat (in warm water *gasp*!) all the time and still cook it rare... no worries
    Yup.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Eaten previously frozen meat all my life. Grew up on a ranch where we'd butcher once a year. We'd have a big BBQ with fresh meat, then everything got cut, wrapped, and frozen and there was meat for the year, sometimes longer. Never had an issue. Beef I usually throw the brick in the sink to thaw for the day, chicken/sausage/ground stuffs goes in the microwave if I forgot or in the fridge if I remember (which is rare, I love the microwave). I've even re-froze thawed meat and reheated it and didn't have any issues, though it did make it tougher.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

maurile is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to eat raw meat (e.g., carpaccio or steak tartar), it's recommended that you freeze it first for at least 14 days and then defrost it. Most parasites commonly found in meat won't survive being frozen for 14 days.

So yes, it's definitely fine to eat it rare instead of raw if you want to.
    Last edited by maurile; 03-27-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12