Thread: A little help with some chemistry..... page

jammies is offline Senior Member

A little help with some chemistry.....

Primal Fuel
    So I think I have a little unintentional supplement chemistry going on, I was hoping someone could tell me for sure.

Every night I take potassium chloride in water. I just dump a bunch in water, the solution is saturated and there is always a bunch of the salts at the bottom of the glass that don't dissolve. I also have recently re-started an iodine supplement as I found it helpful in the past for energy. Neither of these things taste good and I have to choke them down. So I decided to put the iodine into the potassium chloride so that I could just choke down one thing instead of two. Well, the iodine lost its color and all the potassium chloride went completely in to solution and tasted ten times saltier than normal. Nothing bad happened when I drank it - I felt really good the next day.

So did I make a mixture of KCL and KI? And did this impact the solubility of the KCL? Or the function of the iodine? Could I be making any harmful things?

Thanks!!!

faithy22 is offline Member
    What is your iodine supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by faithy22 View Post
    What is your iodine supplement?
    I use TPCS, Iosol Formula II, It contains 1830 mcg iodine per drop and also has glycerin and ammonium iodide listed as inactive ingredients.

faithy22 is offline Member
    Iodine won't replace the chloride in your KCl supplement to form KI. I assume the iodine color went away solely because you diluted it in water. Were you only adding one drop to the KCl solution? KCl is also soluble in glycerin (which is in your iodine supplement) and that may help the solubility of your undissolved KCl.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I added about two drops. Thanks!!