Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOG's Cracklin' Chicken page

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

If you haven't tried this recipe, it is a must! I did it today with the picante flavored pork rinds, and it was unbelievably good! There are only a few carbs in the recipe from the eggs (like two carbs in the pound and a half of chicken I made) and it is delicious. Easy too.

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/09/rec...cklin-chicken/

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Yum, it's on the menu for next week!!! I've never had a pork rind, but I have a feeling I will like them! lol

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

crunchysue Guest

I don't think pork rinds are very healthy actually. According to Rudolph Foods, who claim to be the largest pork rind company:

Pork rinds have also been criticized for their fat content, 5g per serving. However, over half of the fat in pork rinds is monounsaturated, the kind of "good fat" you would associate with olive oil. The expanded Nutrition Facts label for a serving of pork rinds shows that, of the 5g of total fat, 2.5g are monounsaturated, .5g is polyunsaturated, 2g are saturated, and they have 0g trans fat.

http://www.rudolphfoods.com/nutrition.php

As we all know around here, unsaturated fat is NOT the good fat - saturated fat is. They are probably fried in canola or soy oil.

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

Maybe it depends on the brand. The ingredients in mine are just pork rinds and salt. I think it's a sensible choice, with no carbs, and no insulin spike. But to each his or her own!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Pork rinds are fried in lard most likely.

I did something almost like that recipe by the way, except I fried the chicken.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

grandma is offline Member

I don&#39;t believe that there is anything wrong with monounsaturated fats. It&#39;s the polys that you have to watch out for in my opinion. I won&#39;t comment on pork rinds because that topic has been done to death.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Yeah but these are cracklings, those are not the same as pork rinds, to my understanding. These are meatier and more "natural" than the bagged pork rinds. SOG and I buy them at the same mexican market here in Albuquerque where they make them on the spot.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Roger, can the rest of us substitute with pork rinds though? I tried baking some chicken tenders a while ago with crashed pork rinds and they were great.

crunchysue, who is it "all we"? Actually, I didn&#39;t find anything wrong with the company&#39;s statement on nutrition of pork rinds either. 0.5 g of poly is pretty minimal. It has quite a bit of mono fats and quite a bit of saturated.

I also heard somewhere as well that pork rinds are most likely fried in their own fat, so it&#39;s all good.

I&#39;m not sure, I&#39;ve never actually tried to bread with either. I&#39;m sure it&#39;d be fine. I often eat pork rinds as a snack (they&#39;re great dipped in guacamole!) but I only buy the ones whose ingredients are only pork and salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast