Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Bone Broth page

Einz is offline Member

Chicken Bone Broth

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone I'm looking to make some bone broth but I have a couple questions first.

Can I make it without a crock pot, just in a normal pot?

What are the health benefits of bone broth?

When it's done, do you just put it through a strainer and throw the bones out?

Thanks

Owly is offline Senior Member
    1. You can make it in a stock pot on the stove.

2. Lots of good nutrients that are hard to get otherwise. Gelatin. Collagen. Mmmmm.

3. Yup. Some people skim off the fat too. Silly people.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Einz is offline Member
    Nice thanks for the response.. and if I want to add veggies I guess I just cook the broth in the veggies once the bones are out?

Sorry if this is a stupid question lol

You might want to cook a mirepoix in with the bones for flavour. I also throw some fresh herbs into the mix. If you want to make a chicken soup once the broth is made, strain out the bones, then add your vegetables, any additional seasonings, and meat, and cook it for a bit longer.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Einz is offline Member
    Nice, sounds like a good way to make something out of nothing. Thanks for the help

Yeah, it makes those expensive organic free-range chickens last a little longer!

Owly's Journal

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    Every time I roast a chicken , I save the bones and cook them overnight ( sometimes longer ) in my slow cooker , as well as the stock a surprising amount of meat can be picked off the bones

Minnas is offline Junior Member
    Add a splash of vinegar to the water to extract more of the good stuff from the bones.

I do skim the fat since chicken fat is a bit high in Omega 6 but I think most people do not. Tastes great either way.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    You might want to cook a mirepoix in with the bones for flavour. I also throw some fresh herbs into the mix. If you want to make a chicken soup once the broth is made, strain out the bones, then add your vegetables, any additional seasonings, and meat, and cook it for a bit longer.
    Mirepoix is a combination of onions, carrots, and celery. If used in a stock, put them in at the beginning with the bones, and since you'll be simmering for hours there's no need to cut them too small. Cut the onions into quarters/eighths, cut the celery and carrots to manageable lengths, and throw it all in the pot. Helps at the end when you need to strain it out, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
    Add a splash of vinegar to the water to extract more of the good stuff from the bones.

I do skim the fat since chicken fat is a bit high in Omega 6 but I think most people do not. Tastes great either way.
    Try it with a pastured stewing hen. Stewing/range hens are the retired egg-layers. They're called stewing hens because the meat is really tough since they're older and thus better suited to stewing -- or simmering for a few hours. If you can find hens that are pastured the fat is a beautiful bright yellow -- just like butter, and just as good. I avoid chicken in general because of the O6, but I make an exception for these guys. I'm sure the fatty acid breakdown is better (probably just better O6:O3 but same total PUFAs), and it just tastes really good.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    I never make my bone broth with only one kind of bones. I usually cumulate them in a large ziplock bag in the freezer:

chicken wings bones, spare ribs, buffalo ribs, lamb bones, beef bones etc.

When the bag is full I make the bone broth using a crock pot.

The non-chicken bones have nutrious marrow in them which ends up in the broth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast