Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kite surfing page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

Kite surfing

Primal Fuel
    So I'm going to take kite surfing lessons in May. I'm pretty pumped about it. I've watched hundreds of videos online and being out on the ocean with the sun and spray looks like so much fun. I know it can be dangerous but I'll be taking 3 lessons and I'll stay with in my limits. Summer is looking to be a good one. Riding the motorcycle, hiking, outdoor sand bag/sledge hammer training, swimming and now kite surfing. Anyone else kite surf?
    "Live Free or Die"

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    We watched the guys last summer where we holiday do this. Its a nice quite beach - good cos you need plenty of room. I sat there with a cold beer thinking that's about the most fun you could have without a motor.
    They'd hit waves on the face and catch air for what seemed like forever.
    The wind started to whip up after a while and that sorted the men from the boys pretty smartly. The more experienced players were OK, but the not so skilled spent most of the time dragging their kites out of the surf.
    Awesome sport.

I was at the beach last year when i saw a bunch of guys doing it. Turns out I was sitting about 100 yards from the school and i was watching one of the classes. Anyways it looks like tons of fun and its the wind so it's good for the enviromnent.
    "Live Free or Die"

joeprimal is offline Junior Member
    Been kitesurfing for years. It's still the most thrilling activity I've ever been able to participate in. My wife kites with me too so that's very cool. Whether it's a mellow 15 knots or cranked up 30 knots, it is always a special time on the water for us. You are smart to take lessons. Don't worry about trying to look cool, buy a good helmet (sh*t happens). BigWaveDave - Windsurfing, Kiteboarding, marine weather, Victoria, Vancouver Island, coastal British Columbia, BC, Canada, windsurf, kiteboard, webcams, surfing, photos, kayaking is my home turf. Have fun Bostonbully!

Thanks alot man.
    "Live Free or Die"

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    where are you doing this? i planned to give this a try this summer, and i'm already situated right in the Lakes Region, but haven't looked into how to get started.

Neilfenstein is offline Member
    I started kitesurfing last year, on Hayling beach in the south coast of England! Not as warm as some places but as other posters have said when it comes together the sense of achievement an thrill is second to none!

I took it up to be my "summer snowboarding" and did some lessons! It's quite expensive to start with getting the equipment but now I just need good tides and wind!

I am nowhere near any good but is still extremely fun even when frustrating due to my lack of skill. The lesson are a great opportunity to see if you like it before you shell out on the equipment too!

I found it to be anamaIng workout since your whole body needs to work to keep the kite under control and loads of swimming too.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    where are you doing this? i planned to give this a try this summer, and i'm already situated right in the Lakes Region, but haven't looked into how to get started.
    There is a school at powerline sports in Seabrook, NH. First class is 80, second class is 180, third class is 300. Expensive yea but I figured after the first or second lesson I'll know if I really like it. After you pass the written test on the first lesson they give you a 10% coupon towrds any hard good in the store. I think classes run from April to November.
    "Live Free or Die"

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    There is a school at powerline sports in Seabrook, NH. First class is 80, second class is 180, third class is 300. Expensive yea but I figured after the first or second lesson I'll know if I really like it. After you pass the written test on the first lesson they give you a 10% coupon towrds any hard good in the store. I think classes run from April to November.
    awesome...i grew up in the next town over. i'm definitely giving that a try. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    awesome...i grew up in the next town over. i'm definitely giving that a try. thanks for the info
    No problem man. If you get into it there is a club at masskiting.com that hang out and what not. I'd be willing to bet they have members in NH as well. They did a winter trip where they went to a huge field in up state NY and went kite snowboarding. From the pics and videos it looked fun as hell. Good luck.
    "Live Free or Die"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast