Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Training for a marathon? page

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member

Training for a marathon?

Primal Fuel
    Any other primal peeps training to run a marathon this year? When and where is the big day?

I'm training to run the San Francisco marathon on July 31st and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only MDA junkie who will be there. Anyone else?
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only MDA junkie. Marathoning isn't exactly encouraged. How do you plan on training for it without turning it into chronic cardio?

There is a half marathon coming up in the fall and I think I will run that one. No training, just show up and run it. I did two half marathons in 2007 and 2008 with training, so it'd be a hoot to see how well I do without.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    She'll do fartlek. Oh and I doubt I'll manage to find an official marathon close to me, but I might trail run that far if I don't stop myself.

trob1234 is offline Member
    I plan on doing a half in the fall in Nashville TN. I am just doing short runs two days a week with a long slow run on Sundays. Other days I am just taking long walks on our 100 acre farm and riding my bike on our long country roads. This will be my first half marathon. I took up running last year to lose weight and gain energy. I ran my first 5 and 10 k races last year. Good luck

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    If I'm selling my soul to chronic cardio for the next few months, so be it. I'm willing to do it in order to check off a big item on my bucket list. Luckily, the only runs that are truly tough are the once-weekly long runs and those can be done slowly - my goal is simply to finish. I've gotten some great advice from runners here who have been there and done that - several of whom will do so again, and will be using my head and listening to my body. My plan is to eat primally through the entire training process and I was encouraged to learn that it's totally possible and many runners do it.

Thanks for the the good luck wishes, trob. Good luck to you on your race in the Fall!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Like Grumpy Caveman I've run half and full marathons before with nothing but my sprint training, some daily walks and lots of LHT - it is entirely possible.

swalker is offline Member
    I am training for White Rock Marathon on December 4 this year. I found a couple of different training plans for it, Hal Higdon's and the SmartCoach on Runner'sWorld. I only started running Jan, but I am pretty excited about it.

Way to go Jen for going after a goal! Keep us posted on your training!!!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My partner is running one at the beginning of June. He's primal, but higher carb than most to support his training. His team's coach eats mostly primal (and recognized my partner's Grok t-shirt!) so he's got some support there. I bought a copy of Cordain's Paleo Diet for Athletes, which has also been helpful, and one of the coaches at our CF box is helping with planning workouts, doing supportive strength stuff, and teaching some good mobility work to alleviate some of the damage.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Any other primal peeps training to run a marathon this year?
    I'm not. But just for fun, here's the counter-argument to the "running will give you heart disease" scaremongers.

Sweat Science » “Cardio causes heart disease”: misinterpreting science for fun and profit

Not to mention:

Running slows the aging clock, Stanford researchers find - Office of Communications & Public Affairs - Stanford University School of Medicine

Go ahead and enjoy your running, fear-free. I do.

Gordo

simplyryde is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just ran my first marathon on Sunday. The Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach. I ate primal during the training, and used the FIRST training plan. The plan uses two shorter runs during the week, and one long weekend run. Also, It recommends cross training 4-5 a week. Interval training, and weight lifting were my cross training.

If I could do it again, I would get in more base running. It would help develop the muscles and joints to handle the demands of higher milage. Of the 16 weeks I trained, I missed about 10 days of training because of soreness, and overuse.

It was on my bucket list as well. I have done endurance sports for the last 10 years, and felt it was time to try a full marathon, and I am glad I did.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast