Thread: Myth? Garlic stored in oil developing botulism - could this be true? page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

Myth? Garlic stored in oil developing botulism - could this be true?

Primal Fuel
    I frequently store my garlic in oil, via a salad dressing mix that I have made up about every two to three days. The salad mix contains squozen garlic, vinegar, EVOO, salt, pepper. Then I bring some to work with me every day. Having this mix makes my mornings quicker and easier.

However, my mom recently read that garlic stored in oil over 24 hours can/will develop botulism. Is the science sound on this? Is this a myth? What about garlic stored in vinegar and oil?

Thanks!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    The vinegar in salad dressing protects it.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

apple is offline Senior Member
    I had read it is safe for a few days. The vinegar might protect it. I know when you buy pre-made garlic infused olive oil (like the stuff made for bread dipping) it has citric acid in it, preventing it from growing botulism. Don't know if vinegar does the same thing.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Clostridium botulinum is killed by a low pH, so as long as there is enough vinegar then you are safe. i don't know how much is "enough," but if you're using it up every few days then i think you're fine. if it worries you, store the dressing in the fridge.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Definitely not a myth, but the vinegar "should" kill the botulisum. You could always have everything mixed and just add the oil when you dress the salad.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Definitely not a myth. As a canning and preserving enthusiast, I know that storing anything in oil is bad. You don't want to mess with botulism. i don't know about vinegar's role in preventing botulism, so please research more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Definitely not a myth, but the vinegar "should" kill the botulisum. You could always have everything mixed and just add the oil when you dress the salad.
    I like this idea! Thanks!

I was thinking too that vinegar "should" kill botulism, esp. since the garlic chunks and vinegar are below the oil (since oil floats ) when stored on my counter. But I think I will keep the garlic out of the mix until I use it, at least for now.