Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not losing weight page

klawler9 is offline Member

Not losing weight

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've done the low carb thing many times and each time I've lost weight initially then fell off for one reason or another. This time around I am committed to seeing what kind of health and vitality I can achieve and, moreover, I just don't want to eat the SAD diet anymore.

I've been doing the no carb thing for a couple of weeks with barely a break other than a couple of beers with two soft-shell tacos one night.

Something is different this time. I am not having that daily "my pants are even looser today than yesterday" feeling.

The only thing that is different now than before is that after five years of hard work I have finally gotten my digestive system back to what it should be after 25 years of gut trouble. A combination of limited diet, probiotics and alot of vitamin D have all helped to fix my "leaky gut". All digestive issues are gone, anxiety is gone, energy levels are well above the chronic fatigue place I lived for years but not what I would call optimal.

So I am confused. I am not exercising at the moment but have never needed it in the past to jump start the weight loss. I'll stick to the primal way this time no matter what but I am not understanding why I appear to be holding or possible even gaining a bit this time. (also, I'm eating less calories than usual and am not over eating and am not hungry)

Digby is offline Senior Member
    The only thing that works for me is counting the calories and carbs, and being careful with the fats. I know many people on this blog don't have to do this, but if the weight isn't shifting, then chances are there is too much of something happening. If you have a sluggish metabolism or are insulin resistant, then it all matters.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    you have to be active, that is...exercise. I find that when I miss/skip my exercise routine, I will gain weight and my body just doesn't feel right.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

peril is offline Senior Member
    PB has 10 laws. If you want to get to your ideal weight you have to observe all of them
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    The only thing that works for me is counting the calories and carbs, and being careful with the fats. I know many people on this blog don't have to do this, but if the weight isn't shifting, then chances are there is too much of something happening. If you have a sluggish metabolism or are insulin resistant, then it all matters.
    This was my experience too. Having an extended illness like leaky gut, and the resulting fatigue matters a great deal too. This can change your hormone balance, just like insulin resistance will. I don't agree that the answer is simply to "exercise it off." Blood chemistry comes first. PB is the right choice, and if something is making it stall, investigate that in light of past medical history.

I had major troubles finding a doc that could sort everything out, and one in 2007 found hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue (low testosterone, cortisol actually low due to fatigue), and chronic fatigue all at once. His first prescription was VLC eating, PB style, and the right hormones. It all had to work together and weight loss started right away. I tried exercising many times to speed up progress and this never worked. Blood chemistry comes first. You can figure it out and do fine. It may require a hormone doc, but you can do it. Good luck!

I just went outside and pulled both quad muscles doing sprints with the kids felt good doing it too!

I really think I need to exercise totally differently now. I am a competitive swimmer and a novice mnt and road biker but I think the sprints and the weights are going to be the only way to go until I drop the 25 pounds. I think I'll move up on the mnt bike from novice to competitive if I do lose the weight.

Thanks DFH. Sounds like you understand what I went through. I see it all the time with people around me now and it's tough to reach them.

Now that I am healthy I want to look like this Mark character who I am not entirely sure is real

Water retention

I thought about this alot last night. My best guess is that when my gut wasn't working properly and I had a fair amount of inflammation throughout my body that a by product of that was water retention. In the past when I would stop eating foods that caused inflammation and water retention I would probably be losing that water over a period of a few days which would show up as dramatic weight loss and looser fitting clothes. In time actual weight loss would occur at a steady rate so the weight loss would continue.

I'm committed. Quads hurt this morning though..

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How's your sleep? 8+ hours nightly in a dark room?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast