Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any help out there for a desperate vegetarian/pescatarian? page

Chloe is offline Junior Member

Any help out there for a desperate vegetarian/pescatarian?

Primal Fuel
    I have been reading MDA for several months and eating Primal for the past six weeks. I like what it's doing for me as far as mood stabilizing--I have been a lifelong depressive--and weight control. However, except for occasional seafood, I don't eat meat . . . and haven't for almost thirty years. (Yes, thirty. I started young, and now I'm not.) The result is that I've been eating fish twice a day, more or less, for six weeks. Now, I like fish, but . . .

I'm getting kind of desperate for variety. The reason I stopped eating meat long ago was discomfort with the cruel way livestock is typically commercially raised, so, in theory, I should be fine eating grass-fed, free-range, or otherwise happy-lived animals. But I find I have a terrible mental and emotional block. Being a vegetarian/pescatarian has been part of my identity since adolescence, after all.

It seems like a lot of MDA members were, at one time, vegetarians. Can you offer any advice about making the switch? Or can anyone give me any suggestions or support? I appreciate whatever you've got!

apple is offline Senior Member
    Read this:
    Let Them Eat Meat : Interview With an Ex-Vegan: Erim Bilgin

I was vegan for many years for the ethical and "health" reasons (health being a joke, it's ruined my health) and it was difficult for me to overcome the ethical aspects initially. However, I knew that I had to take care of myself first and foremost. There is no point in having morals if you are too unhealthy to live to spread them to others. My morals *were* that meat is wrong to eat because we shouldn't kill animals; it is now that we shouldn't abuse the animals we intend to eat. They DO have a right to a happy and healthy life, even if it is destined to end to feed us.

I used to follow the erroneous belief that "people can thrive and maintain perfect health without animal products, so even though eating meat isn't inherently bad, it simply isn't necessary; furthermore, we shouldn't eat it since it is unethical." However, I know I was misinformed: meat IS vital to our bodies in the majority of cases, if not all cases. It might *feel* wrong to eat cows, chickens, and pigs, but it certainly isn't wrong to want to maintain or improve our health.

You don't necessarily have to jump right in, but the fact that you are bored with your fish means that something needs to change soon. You will either give in and eat good quality meat, or you will end up giving in and eating wheat. The mind can only take so much!
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Start with chicken, its the closest to fish as far as taste and texture you're gonna get in land meat. Take it slow, don't force things, and soon you'll be yummying down on a porterhouse steak medium rare. haha

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian for 10 years. I started back with fish, then chicken and once I went Primal I added in the rest. It's still hard for me mentally to see a cow in the field and know I'm eating them, but not as hard as dealing with what has happened to my body. I have always been physically active, I hike, I bike, walk. I lift weights. But I'm obese, weak and my muscles hurt often. I damaged my knees with all the cardio I did. Despite working out daily 1.5 hours-2 hours and low calories, I wasn't losing any weight. This would go on for 3-6 months at a time. So I made the choice to try this for my health. The first month I lost over 10 pounds. Haven't weighed myself this month. I feel stronger. I crave steak and bacon, which is so foreign to me.
    Everyone just has to do what is right for them. I think diet/health is the most confusing thing that exists. For every "expert" out there telling us how one thing is healthy, there is another "expert" out there saying that very thing will be the undoing of us.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a lot of transitional advice. I was a veg for years. One day I decided that I was going back to eating meat for several reasons. I went out and ate a burger. My advice to you is buy the best grass-fed steak you can afford, study up on how best to cook it, and make yourself a lovely meal with a lot of veggies on the side, and just enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Read this:
    Let Them Eat Meat : Interview With an Ex-Vegan: Erim Bilgin

You will either give in and eat good quality meat, or you will end up giving in and eating wheat. The mind can only take so much!
    You are so right about that! Thanks so much for your supportive words!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian for 14 years. I feel lots of gratitude to the animals I eat for nourishing me. It's good to be included in the web of life.

I started out cooking a free-range turkey for Thanksgiving. It was beautiful & really yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    I don't have a lot of transitional advice. I was a veg for years. One day I decided that I was going back to eating meat for several reasons. I went out and ate a burger. My advice to you is buy the best grass-fed steak you can afford, study up on how best to cook it, and make yourself a lovely meal with a lot of veggies on the side, and just enjoy it.
    That sounds like a great way to make an occasion of it, without too much pressure. Do you think I can digest steak first thing?

Thanks, Nomad1!! I wasn't as strict a vegetarian as you, but I identify with feeling weak all the time, despite plenty of exercise, and with the creeping weight gain. You guys have all been so supportive--I really appreciate that. And I'm still figuring out the "reply" system, so please bear with my clumsiness!

LOL! Just today I was talking to a good friend about going out with her to a restaurant that serves free-range chicken: That may be the perfect start--and she'd be there for moral support.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast