Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have 455 mg/dL Cholesterol - my gf tells me I'm going to die page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

Have 455 mg/dL Cholesterol - my gf tells me I'm going to die

Primal Fuel
    My total cholesterol is 455 mg/dL.

My HDL is 96 mg/dL and Triglyceride are at 44 mg/dL.

Am I to be worried?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i have no idea if your cholesterol will kill you, but when you gf says you are going to die, just agree, because it's true.

we will all die sometime. it may or may not be related to our cholesterol when we do.

otherwise, seek out answers. do some research. in the primal research section, there's a fair bit about cholesterol. Griff has primers.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Stop testing. Change GF.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Stop getting it checked.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    My total cholesterol is 455 mg/dL.

My HDL is 96 mg/dL and Triglyceride are at 44 mg/dL.

Am I to be worried?
    Read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Total Cholesterol numbers are meaningless. Ask your doctor for a VAP test, and most assuredly your LDL will be Pattern A (large, fluffy LDL) if you are eating Primal (which means a low risk for heart disease).

As far as your GF. 1) We all going to die (heck, even Jesus did!). No type of diet will prevent that. By following the PB, you are just going to live longer than most, unless you are unfortunate and die of unnatural causes. 2) Start looking for another GF. She isn't your type! A Primal GF will understand you

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Keep your GF. At least she was nice enough to care that (by CW standards) your cholesterol numbers spell certain doom. Just educate her on the wonders of Primal and live a long life together (assuming she does not turn out to be a psycho hose beast).
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

peril is offline Senior Member
    You numbers are indeed high. I sometimes think that on this forum we develop an overly cavalier attitude to these things. Sure, CW is wrong, but do we really know what is right? I don't think so.

Very high total cholesterol, especially in the presence of good HDL and TG, points to at least a couple of possible problems:

1) Copper deficiency (or copper biounavailability due to a zinc deficiency)

2) Thyroid problems

You can get your copper, zinc and other minerals checked with a hair tissue mineral analysis. I would do this first then change diet or supplementation to correct any imbalances.

Your physician can do thyroid tests, but it is not always easy to find a physician who can interpret the results correctly
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I have no sexual drive anymore (since starting low-reasonable-low carb), I'm not sure if that's related.

I usually have a Zinc supplement (the supp has copper as well) 4 or 5 days a week. I also take magnesium, vit D3 and fish oil 4 days per week or so.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    I've read that it can be linked to too much caffeine or high fat diets. Having a veggie day with no caffeine one day a week may help.

The human body produces most of its testerone at night. Having cafeine in your system during your sleep time has an estrogenous effect.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    I have no sexual drive anymore (since starting low-reasonable-low carb), I'm not sure if that's related.

I usually have a Zinc supplement (the supp has copper as well) 4 or 5 days a week. I also take magnesium, vit D3 and fish oil 4 days per week or so.
    Let's hope stabby looks in on this. AFAIK, testosterone is synthesised from cholesterol. If you have very high cholesterol and low testosterone (supposition) then it sounds like you are having problems metabolising the cholesterol. Again, this could be mineral or thyroid based, but I've reached the limit of my knowledge on this subject.

Get the mineral and thyroid tests done
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast