Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil bad? page

mwok86 is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil bad?

Shop Now
    I had dinner at a coworkers house the other day who happens to be Indian. He said that coconut oil is bad for you and that people in India have a history of heart disease that can be correlated to high consumption of coconut oil. They said that their main source of fat was coconut oil and ghee. He said that they have been using coconut oil and ghee since the 60s and yet they have high amounts of heart disease. With the modern use of vegetable oils, that number increased exponentially.

Could it be that the statistics are flawed and coconut oil actually causes heart disease?
    Last edited by mwok86; 03-22-2011 at 11:39 AM.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Only if it was partially hydrogenated coconut oil, the saturated natural kind is the stuff. There are numerous examples of native peoples eating copious amounts of coconut products and thriving.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/di...R_HP_LO_MST_FB

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    People in India eat a lot of carbs.

I don't know what type of coconut oil they use.

Until your friend can provide more detailed info, I'm sticking with my unrefined, virgin organic coconut oil.

nax
    nax is offline Member
    I'd say the first culprit could be lentils.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    J. Stanton

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Dude, don't lay this crap on me, you'll make me stab my computer monitor! That's all right, we can still be friends, but it was a rocky start to say the least.

Correlation.......... is that causation? Like if I have a statistical association between two things.....does that mean that one causes the other? Unbelievable. I think I'm going to cry.

What about too little meat? Vegetarian Indians more likely to suffer heart disease--study | TheMedGuru

Now if we're not going to be completely and utterly docile we should probably take a look at a population who have a massive intake of coconut fat and see if they have much heart disease. Because if they don't, then we really have little grounds to say that coconut oil causes heart disease.

Exhibit A: Tokelau Whole Health Source: Tropical Plant Fats: Coconut Oil, Part I

They ate tons of coconut fat, had little heart disease, and then started eating less fat and got more heart-disease. This is well-documented.

First two sections of Good Calories Bad Calories. Read 'em.

And here is stuff: Healthy Diets And Science: Saturated Fat and Heart Disease
    Last edited by Stabby; 03-22-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    This is assuming that dietary fat is the cause of heart disease.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    This is assuming that dietary fat is the cause of heart disease.
    Ding ding ding and more much succinctly. The Indians do things A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y and Z, and they have heart disease. Therefore, it must be J's fault! Why? Just look at how suspicious J looks what with that curl at the end. What's he up to? Causing us atherosclerosis no doubt. oooooo I sure do hate J.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

janagram is offline Senior Member
    they did not start eating ghee and coconut oil in the 60's!!! they ate them since millenia!!! (the indians, that is...unless he was referring to someone ther than indians) then when they started eating more vegetable oils they got heart trouble.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    WHAT STABBY SAID PLUS.....

really, make your own choice and dont believe everything you read/hear/see etc... youll become a flippin OCD-er

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    If coconut oil is bad then I don't want to be right. :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast