Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anemic!! Help! page

Kris C is offline Senior Member

Anemic!! Help!

Primal Fuel
    I got a call from my doc earlier; she wanted to give me my bloodwork results. Cholesterol is great (179) LDL and HDL where they "should" be, triglycerides a fantastic 74. But I am anemic! How can this be? I eat red meat a few times a week, as well as turkey and chicken. I love tuna, sardines, salmon. I eat eggs and spinach daily (spinach almost daily). What else can I do? She is prescribing supplements, but I'd prefer to get more iron naturally. I can't really up any of my intake much more; I just can't eat that much food! Or is there something I am taking in that is robbing me of iron? I eat as primally as possible; no sugars (except dark chocolate, 1 to 2 squares daily), no flour, no grains at all. I drink only water (wine or the occasional cocktail on Friday evenings sometimes; not too often anymore). I haven't had milk in a long time, though I sometimes have cheese. Not daily; well, a bit of feta on my morning spinach but it's barely anything. Not even one full ounce.

Any suggestions??
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    You can cook with a cast iron skillet, and take Vitamin C supplements to boost iron absorption. If your levels are low enough, however, you'll probably need supps for a while.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I'd go ahead and take the supps. They are over the counter, not prescription, right? When I was anemic due to fibroids/extremely heavy bleeding they really helped a lot. You will feel less fatigued and depressed.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    +1.

the supplements helped me. Not as much as the blessed hysterectomy, but they definitely made a difference.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any symptoms of anemia, or did your bloodwork just come out in the lower range? If you feel great, is it really a number that needs to be raised? I'm asking, bec. I've heard different ideas about excess iron being bad for you.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    if you have been anemic for a long time, you may want to check with your doctor to see if your absorbing iron or not. some people do not absorb the iron and overload their bodies with excess iron that never gets used/absorbed and from what i have seen this can be potentially harmful. i personally worry about this so if you have the money for doctors appointments i say check it out

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I know this is a stupid question, but are you a frequent blood donor? I made myself anemic by donating too often. I took iron pills (ferrous sulfate I think) for a few weeks and everything went back to normal. I never noticed any fatigue or anything, but my ferritin was totally depleted. I'd second (third?) taking the supplements. My doc also did a fecal occult blood test (stool sample) to make sure I wasn't losing blood that way just to be on the safe side.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    What kind of anemia? There are many different ways that anemia manifests in blood tests. I was diagnosed with microcytic anemia a few months ago, which means that I had enough red blood cells but each cell was unusually small. I have been steadily improving that, using Floradix early on, but now just by cooking my breakfast (bacon, onions, and acidic tomatoes) in cast iron pan every morning. The acid part is important because it helps to leach the iron out of the pan.

My anemia was caused by 10 years of increasingly heavy periods. The increase happened so gradually I hadn't realized it was abnormal until a friend was diagnosed with heavy periods, despite hers being lighter than mine. Quitting dairy has completely fixed my heavy periods, btw.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and one more thought...do you have a previous test to compare against?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

aktres is offline Senior Member
    That's a good thought, Mal. I think celiac/gluten intolerance can impair iron absorption, and I'll add it to my list of past problems likely caused by it. I view everything with 20-20 hindsight these days. Found this article:

Iron Deficiency Anemia and Gluten Intolerance - The Gluten Doctor - Everyday Health Blogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast