Thread: Rendering Duck Fat - need your tips! page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Rendering Duck Fat - need your tips!

Shop Now
    This week I talked DH into making a recipe using duck... ended up with a bell & evans organic duck from WFM...
    planning on rendering the duck fat so we can have a little indulgence in the house : )

any tips would be appreciated...

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I had amazing results and a good jar of fat after this recipe:

Crispy Roast Duck

1 5lb duck (mine was 4.5 lbs)
    2 C. boiling water
    Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Rinse duck, pat dry, and pierce skin all over with a fork.
    Place duck on rack in roasting pan and pour boiling water over duck to tighten skin. Drain water from cavity into pan. Leave the water in the pan.
    Rub duck with salt & pepper
    Roast 30 minute breast side up, 30 minutes breast side down, and 30 minutes breast side up again (err on the side of undercooked.)
    Let duck rest on cutting board while you pour delicious rendered duck fat from roasting pan into jar.

Eat delicious roasted duck with crispy skin with your fingers while standing in the kitchen.

Or...serve with veggies of choice, and I made the below chutney-type stuff that was delicious on the duck meat.

Balsamic Apple Chutney

1 Apple, chopped finely
    2 T. Butter
    2 T. Balsamic vinegar
    1/2 t. Salt

Saute apples in butter until quite soft.
    Add salt and vinegar.
    Stir until well combined and let cook a little longer until nice brown mushy goodness. You may need to add a bit of water to allow it to cook down into mushy goodness.
    Serve with duck meat.

So yummy....

Oooohhhhhh that sounds yummie... I'm actually doing the duck/bokchoy recipe from the PB cook book so I'll be pulling out the cleaver and chopping up the duck.... we'll try this next time!

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    I did the following:

Take Killkenny beer can pour half of it in a glass. (Drink it as you prepare your duck).
    Insert the can with remaining beer up the duck's butt.
    Place the duck in his sitting position on a roasting pan so that the can will remain upright.
    Put water in the roasting pan.
    Cover the duck in aluminium and cook for 2 hours at 425 (cooking time varies depending on duck size).
    Remove Aluminium foil and cook duck for another half hour.

The roasting pan will contain duck fat. Pour in a container and place it in a fridge to separate fat from water later.

Enjoy our beer butt duck.

(If you want to avoid the grain by-products of the Killkenny, you can always try apple cider instead of beer).

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I got almost 2 cups of duck fat just by pouring off the excess while roasting a 4-lb. Muscovy over the winter holiday. It had some juices mixed in, so I let it solidify in the fridge overnight, then lifted up the block of solid fat, wiped off the gelled juices, and heated the fat to drive off excess moisture. Then, back into a clean, dry jar and into the fridge for about three weeks (that's how long it took to eat it all).

Duck fat is liquid at warm room temperature and makes an awesome salad dressing!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I roast a duck at a lower temperature - 160 C / 320F, for around 3 hours. If you prick the skin all over, underneath the bird too, the fat can really run out. Plenty of salt on the skin to get a lovely crispy skin, and keep spooning the fat out of the roasting tin at intervals. After about 1.5 hours I add a cup or two of boiling water, to stop the duck drippings burning.

A good, fatty bird will render off a lot of fat which can then be poured into a jar and kept in the fridge for however long it takes you to use it all up. I find it doesn't last long at all...

My local organic chicken farm which also has ducks, sometimes gives me a bag of bits of duck fat that they pull from then insides when drawing the birds. This can be chopped small and rendered down in the slow cooker. It is divine!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    And the carcass from a roast duck makes super delicious stock ....

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I've cooked a duck using the following recipe. Once I removed the duck from the stock and chilled the stock I was able to skim the fat off easily.Ina Garten's Roast Duck*-*recipes, food blog, oneforthetable.com

great tips... I just pulled all the skin off the whole bird and rendered it in a pan w/a 1/2c of water...came out beautiful with lots of good crunchy nibbles of skin...

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Oh... and if you eat potatoes....potatoes fried in duck fat are really, really, really good.