Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still miss bread page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

Still miss bread

Shop Now
    Been primal for a few months now with a few off days where i ate bread...its been the hardest part of going primal for me... Warm buttery toast, irish soda bread, cold cereal n milk.

Im torn though, because ive been eating really good latley and hate the thought of empty calories. Even rice, which is OK for me, feels like a waste of 200 calories.

Ive always LOVED bread, i remember in 5 th grade we had "bread day" where we got to eat a dozen different kimds of bread and since then its been my favorite food. Ive never been fat though, just bread obsessed haha..

Can anyone relate? How do u handle the urges? Its not hunger, just cravings

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    It's not that hard. Think about what is good for you and what isn't instead of what you want out of habit!

Primal-J is offline Member
    Honestly, when I first started, and had cravings, I would just eat bacon and cheese. Pure bliss.

J

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    IF there are days you must have it, there are multiple "bread" recipes on the site, from rivvin's Angry Bread to TAWFunGuy's Italian Loaf, to the infamous Oopsie roll.
    I was like you for quite a while, I still find it hard to resist a warm, homemade yeast roll with honey butter. After a while, though, if you ignore the urges long enough they stop. Gotta give it time.
    It could also be a matter of reverse psychology (term?) To give an example, if I tell you not to think abut monkeys, what do you automatically think of? Monkeys. It could be the same idea here. "Don't think about bread." Well, of COURSE , you're going to be drooling over the bread. (Or I could be completely full of it, each person's different.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Moxyfox is offline Junior Member
    Bread is an addiction on its own, and you'll never be able to get that same high again. You just have to live with it.

Eating starchy tubers and vegetables is a great go-to replacement though!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I can sorta relate. The smell of toast is extremely appealing to me. I think to myself “it’s just burnt bread!” but even though I haven’t had toast in over a year the smell is still too much sometimes.

I don’t really eat bread too much, only sometimes on Sunday mornings when I eat with my family but rarely.

Dealing with cravings can be tough, especially mental ones. I am reading “Adventures in Diet” by Vilhjalmur Stefansson (I might have killed his name) who for I think 3 years ate nothing but fish and water, boiled fish, frozen fish, raw fish, rotten fish, when he lived with the Eskimos. At one point he recounts acquiring salt from a traveler and being ecstatic (because he missed salt so much) and adding it to his boiled fish then realizing it was nowhere near as satisfying as he was hoping, and eventually he stopped using it and just ate his bland boiled fish like the rest of the Eskimos.

He recounts a conversation with another Eskimo where he said that salt was to the western man what tobacco was for the Eskimos. Since they were young Eskimo children were allowed and encouraged to smoke, so an Eskimo couldn’t fathom foreigners who didn’t because it was so engrained into their way of life and their daily routine. He (the Eskimo) theorized the same happened with Vilhjalmur and salt, it was merely or mostly just a force of habit.

Maybe visualizing that it’s just going to be disappointing would be enough for you not to want it. That’s kind of how I felt about my first cup of coffee with cream after completing my whole30. It was just okay. I never went back to using as much butter as I used to, but dairy became a problem as I started adding it to everything and still sort of do. It’s a tough (creamy and delicious) habit to break and I’m not sure I want to.

Edit (because if my posts don't turn into essays I'm not being true to myself):
    It’s imperative to break free of these. My father is IN LOVE with white rice, but not so much the taste but he often says a meal isn’t complete without it.

We’re creatures of habit and comfort, to my family breakfast isn’t breakfast without bread. Even if we sometimes make huge primal stews for breakfast (how I love them) they still break out the bread and make sandwiches while I just eat the meat straight up.

My mom who wants to lose weight asked me if eating less bread would help, “yes!” I told her, I asked her to eat it only on weekends but she still claims it’s too hard not to have some in the morning, or a little bit in the afternoon (in Peru it’s customary to have a mid afternoon lunch of usually bread and butter and tea or coffee – we don’t do it here really, but sometimes she’ll do it on her own since she’s home during that time) I explained to her how we just “use” bread as a carrier for the really yummy stuff (doesn’t work with bread and butter though) and to by-pass the bread and just eat the contents (also doesn’t work with bread and avocado, another local favorite) but to her it’s tough to even imagine but I told her I could do it, but you have to realize she’s been doing this for over 50 years.

Sorry to make this response unbearably long but when I visited Peru in july 2010 I made it a point to NOT care about eating primal and to fully engage in all eating activities with family and friends. I probably put on close to 10lbs. I had bread almost every morning, with eggs and chorizo usually, and since my family hadn’t seen me in 10 years they were desperate to feed me so I usually had two. We had rice at every meal, potatoes, beans, plenty of protein. My aunt that lives in the house I used to live in has a small food cart she tends to at night where she sells burgers, sandwiches, etc so at night I would eat one of those. Out with friends we’d have rotisserie style chicken and fries or any other countless junk food options, even traditional foods are heavy on starches over there.

I enjoyed myself greatly, and I went into it with the knowledge that I could reverse the damage with some VLC or just going back to my usual eating habits (which are VLC with some days of sweet potato destruction) and indeed I did but the point remains: bread is fattening as fff but in moderation a little indulgence can keep you sane.

I know I'm rather contradictory, but I'll attribute that to the fact that it's lunch time.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 03-22-2011 at 09:37 AM.

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Yeah i need to learn some mind tricks. Its all pyschological for me; right now bread is associated with familly and good times. Like going to work with my dad and stoppping for bagels along the way, grandma buying rolls for us everytime we see her, waking up in the mornigs and eating bread n butter for breakfast, even stopping at the gas station every morning makes me want to grab a roll like i always used to.

I need to associate bread with negative thoughts, and learn new prinal comfort foods. Right now all the food i eat tastes good, but i have no emotional attatchment to it. There's no love on my plate!

What should i do guys? Maybe i should condition myself, everytime i eat a good meal i'll....idk...masturbate?

Moxyfox is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    What should i do guys? Maybe i should condition myself, everytime i eat a good meal i'll....idk...masturbate?
    I'm sure there are better ways to condition yourself...haha

RednGreen is offline Member
    While I do just go ahead and indulge from time to time since I don't have any intolerances to it, I usually just ask myself 'what can I have instead' rather than telling myself I can't have that. If I tell myself no, then of course that's what I want so I give myself permission to have it, but try to figure out something else instead. It's a habit now. You guys are right, it's mostly in our heads and we have to find a way to make that work for us.

And if you do try masturbating after a good meal, please let us know the results!
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    This'll sound cheesy, but it works. With EVERY SINGLE MEAL you make, make it and eat it with mindfulness. Make it an almost meditative act, an act of self love in that you love yourself enough to eat good food. After a while, you'll associate Primal food with happiness, calmness, and zenness. Even if you're eating in a restaurant, eat with mindfulness. Notice what you eat, savor the tastes, textures, and aromas. That calmness and zenness will be there, even if you eat with others.
    Worked for me, anyways. That and just outright, vocally telling myself "No, that's not food, so I'm not eating it." You may get some odd looks, but it works.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast