Thread: Whole 30 - the aftermath page

Primal-J is offline Member

Whole 30 - the aftermath

Shop Now
    Hello all,

Been following paleo/primal nutrition and exercise for a year and a half now, and have had lots of success. The same person who introduced me to PB also introduced me to the Whole30 (Matt, goes by Cheapo on here). I completed a Whole 30 in January with no cheats. I lost weight, felt amazing, and most importantly; I had absolutely no cravings for the foods I allowed pre Whole30, which includes cheese, yogurt, diet sweeteners and alcohol (ok maybe a little craving for some red wine). It was easier than anticipated, and I felt good about completing the challenge.

Of course I soon followed with some cheese, yogurt, and alcohol (on a limited basis). The problem is that I can't seem to control my cheese and yogurt consumption. This wasn't really a problem before. I've had some digestive issues as well - if I fall off the PB wagon and eat a cookie, for example, I'll have very acidic digestive issues. I've gained weight again, and don't feel as good as when I was eating Whole foods only.

How have you been dealing with reintroduced foods since the Whole30 (for those who completed the challenge, or attempted)?

I started the Whole30 again yesterday in hopes that it can eventually become my 80%, but for now it's 30 days Whole foods only. I'm allowing alcohol, in limited amounts, once a week.

Anyone find a happy medium?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well it depends. I had the same issue with dairy... I had some cottage cheese after my whole 30 and was immediately bloated and miserable for 6 hours (like immediately within 15 minutes of eating it...). But, I believe this has more to do with the fact that I'm fairly likely lactose intolerant and not eating dairy for a month just made it more clear that my body wasn't liking the dairy. Kind of like what happens when you dont do grains for a month and then eat a cookie!

My guess is that foods you have issues with will now be more clearly causing the issues because your system had time to clean out and repair itself. The weight gain you notice may be due to inflammation from eating the foods your body really doesn't tolerate. I know that by not eating inflammatory things I felt MUCH smaller-- and lost some size which I believe was mostly just because of my body not being inflamed.

There may likely be some things you won't be able to have in your 20% without repercussions. I've decided dairy is just out for me... sad (as I adore cheese!!) but true. Each person is different, so probably best to keep it clean and then try different groups to see if some foods are tolerated better than others. I, for example, can do some butter no problem and ghee especially. But cottage cheese, no. I may test out some of the other types of cheeses too like goats milk, etc... just to see if I react the same way to all of them.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Thunderchild is offline Member
    OK I am new and have not lurked long enough to find this. What is the Whole30 challenge? And, what does it require for diet?

Thunderchild,

Welcome aboard! If you're anything like a lot of us here, you will be thrilled with the results.

In a nutshell, Whole30 is whole foods for 30 days. This means;

INCLUDE:

1. Meat, poultry, eggs
    2. Fat
    3. Vegetables
    4. Fruit in moderation, prefferably berries
    5. Nuts in moderation

EXCLUDE:

1. Sugar
    2. Artifical sweeteners
    3. Grains and starches (tubers, such as Yams, ar OK)
    4. Alcohol
    5. Dairy

In a way, it's just a pure Primal diet, with no dairy. The objective is to cleanse your body of inflammation issues, I think.

J

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal-J View Post
    Thunderchild,

Welcome aboard! If you're anything like a lot of us here, you will be thrilled with the results.

In a nutshell, Whole30 is whole foods for 30 days. This means;

INCLUDE:

1. Meat, poultry, eggs
    2. Fat
    3. Vegetables
    4. Fruit in moderation, prefferably berries
    5. Nuts in moderation

EXCLUDE:

1. Sugar
    2. Artifical sweeteners
    3. Grains and starches (tubers, such as Yams, ar OK)
    4. Alcohol
    5. Dairy

In a way, it's just a pure Primal diet, with no dairy. The objective is to cleanse your body of inflammation issues, I think.

J
    Just wondering what is considered moderation. 10 kernels of macadamia nuts a day? 6 ounces of berries a day? TIA.

Jens,

This varies for most. I think it means once a day, reasonable amount. Handful of nuts, handful of berries. Snack size, not meal size.

J