Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about liver! page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Talk to me about liver!

Shop Now
    Okay, it's time to start eating organ meats, particularly liver. I'm a good cook and not squeamish, but I don't have any experience working with liver.

Any tips for making tasty beef and/or chicken liver dishes?

ETA: Sorry -- DUH. Dunno how I missed the other thread!
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    For beef liver, I usually just put salt and some indian masala spice mix on it and fry it up in coconut oil with onions. I love beef liver, but don't like pork liver or chicken liver very much.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to attempt to make Chicken Liver pate, I hear it's wonderful (using a recipe from Julia Childs, with lots of butter!). I figure I could start there. I hear all the benefits of eating organs, but it's not something I'm going to force myself to do unless I like it. Good luck! (to both of us!)

fieldofroses1 is offline Member
    I'm a BIG fan of chicken liver but not beef liver. Here is a recipe from my blog you'll love

http://paleomiddleeastern.blog.com/2...4/hello-world/

Another variation is to follow the same recipe just add 1/2 head cauliflower, sautee with onions and add 1 tsp curry to the dish to give a different flavor, hope this helps

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I had calves liver with green curry: amazing! (and I hated, no HATED, liver as a child.)
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    I like chicken livers, especially duck livers, goat liver is surprisingly mild also, sometimes pork; but beef liver has the most funk. So it benefits by soaking in water with dash of vinegar before cooking. Basically, most livers go very well with bacon, onions and dash of vinegar.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think liver tastes delicious as long as it's not overcooked (past medium). Still pink on the inside and it will be nice and creamy. The beef liver I get has a membrane strip running along the outside. I usually just peel it off after it's cooked. If it's not removed it makes biting off a piece tricky, haha. Also I run in to some chewy bits sometimes, but that doesn't really bother me. I love them with caramelized onions.

I made this recipe for chicken livers and it was AWESOME: Chopped Liver Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network
    I also used the technique in this recipe of putting the pate into ramekins topped with schmaltz to keep them fresh since I've heard that cooked liver doesn't freeze well and I'm the only one who eats it in my small household.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Beef liver, cut thickly (over half inch thick), dredged in seasoned flour (I use spelt) and sauted quickly in bacon fat until just browned, pink in the middle. It's a whole different experience than thin-sliced liver. Like the most tender steak imaginable!! (I've loved liver all my life, but this new experience of thick cut is WAY beyond my previous experience - can ya tell?)

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Fry it up in bacon grease, add loads of sliced onion and the bacon, have a glass of red--you will feel better right into to your bones.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I cook my onions first. In my experience it takes far longer to get nicely carmelized onions than it does to cook liver. Once they are cooked I shove them to the side of the pan and put in the liver. Season with S&P and a little paprika (or whatever spices you like). I then put the onions on top of the liver. A couple of minutes later - move onions, flip liver, season that side, recover with onions. Just be careful not to overcook the liver.

I think the onions on top (and cooking the liver in the onion pan) adds flavor and moisture so it does not dry out. Of course, I could just be smoking crack. Either way, it is very nice

edit: I use butter to cook the onions/liver.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast