Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spices page

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member

Spices

Primal Fuel
    Hey Everyone in Primal/ Paleo Land.. I'm recently new to this posting thing.. but have been a converted Paleo .. Now moving to Primal since December 20 2010...

Question... Is there any spices that I shouldn't be using? Like for example onion salt?

Thx for any tips and advice on .. *Spices* muchly appreciated..

Also... is feta cheese allowed? it's not really a *Cheese* is it..

peril is offline Senior Member
    Yes feta is cheese and its allowed on primal

I avoid all spice and herb mixes except for garam masala, where the ingredients are all individual spices that I would use. I've no idea what is onion salt and have nightmares about extracting salt from chickens
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    All herbs are primal in my book. I prefer fresh from my herb garden. I don't see any reason why spices such as cinnamon, vanilla, etc. Would not be primal either.

Paleobird Guest
    Spices are primal just be sure to read the labels on any spice blends to make sure what's in there. Lawry's garlic salt actually has sugar in it. You would think garlic salt should have two ingredients, garlic and salt, right? Those sneaky SOBs will find a way to work some sugar in anywhere.

And yes, feta is cheese. It is "allowed" on Primal but some people chose to cut out dairy for other reasons such as weight loss and allergies.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-22-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    What everyone else said. And some have health benefits. Cinnamon, for instance, has a whole butt-load. As it'll probably be awhile before I can put herbs in I may start some in containers for the time being. And I'm looking for a good online source of spices.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    What everyone else said. And some have health benefits. Cinnamon, for instance, has a whole butt-load. As it'll probably be awhile before I can put herbs in I may start some in containers for the time being. And I'm looking for a good online source of spices.
    Look no more, Penzeys Spice is the place to buy spices:
    Penzeys Spices Home Page

They have stores in some cities. Awesome quality, great variety, good prices. Try their Vietnamese cinnamon, smoked paprika and Mexican vanilla for starters.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Our spice cabinet is always overflowing with various spices and spice combos. I just read the ingredients to make sure the spices/combos only have spices...they can sneak some really weird stuff in there. Usually cheaper products have more filler or suspect ingredients. I usually prefer salt free so I can control the salt level more easily.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Look no more, Penzeys Spice is the place to buy spices:
    Penzeys Spices Home Page

They have stores in some cities. Awesome quality, great variety, good prices. Try their Vietnamese cinnamon, smoked paprika and Mexican vanilla for starters.
    YAY! Thank you. I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. I'm getting a humongo spice rack in the new kitchen so I'm looking to fill it out.

Damn, I just saw that they have a store in Memphis but nothing in Nashville. We're planning on eventually making a trip so I'll have to stop in.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand how feta would not be considered cheese? I know it's been answered above that it is, I just wonder why you thought it wasn't.

And yes, like mentioned above, watch out for premixed stuff. We received some really top-shelf spice blends (that honestly are delicious) but have sugar in them as the first or second ingredient...so they've been drifting towards the back of the cupboard.

JamieRose is offline Member
    If you have an Indian grocery store in your town, you should look there- you can usually by spices in bulk for really cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast