Thread: Help me make Mustard that doesn't scorch my nose. :( page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Help me make Mustard that doesn't scorch my nose. :(

I've tried following several online mustard recipes and even the recipe on the dailyapple blog

Here: Homemade Condiment Creations | Mark's Daily Apple but it always comes out REALLY REALLY HOT. Like i put in my mouth and i can taste the mustard but when i swallow it my throat and inside of my nose feel like they are on fire. I don't get it.

I use regular yellow mustard powder, apple cider vinegar, water, a little honey, and a pinch of salt.

please help! what am i doing wrong.

Grafvitnir is offline Member
    I has to do with the liquid temperature you use:

"Mustard, in its powdered form, lacks any potency and needs to be fixed; it is the production of allyl isothiocyanate from the reaction of myrosinase and sinigrin during soaking that causes gustatory heat to emerge. One of the factors that determines the strength of a prepared mustard is the temperature of the water, vinegar, or other liquid mixed with the ground seeds: hotter liquids are more hostile to the strength-producing compounds. Thus, hot mustard is made with cold water, while using hot water results in milder mustard (other factors remaining the same)"

You can add cold liquid for a while, then add the rest of the liquid hot and it stops the reaction at the level you prefer it.

Hope it helps. And also that it was understandable

Rubén

PS.
    "It is the chemical reaction between two compounds, myrosin and sinigrin, that combines to turn up the heat when the cells of the seeds are broken and mixed with cold water. This combination results in mustard oil that can actually cause burning or blistering when it comes in contact with the skin, so be careful when making your own mustard.

The combination reaches its peak in fire and flavor about fifteen minutes after mixing and will quickly decline from that point on. The addition of an acidic element is added to prepared mustard to delay or stop the decline. However, the acidic agent often masks the true flavor of the mustard. Heat inhibits mustard's potency and flavor, so be sure the mixing liquid is unheated. "

Going to try to find the recipe a friend of mine uses to get the desired level of heat. Although I think it's not a primal recipe it does has the instructions on how to get it just to the level of heat you want.
    Last edited by Grafvitnir; 03-21-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Found another reference

Grafvitnir is offline Member
    Ok, I found the info. I hope this doesn't make a very long post.

"Flavour Chemistry of Mustard
    lsothiocyanates which are present in all mustard seed contribute to the characteristic flavour and heat of mustard. The isothiocyanate content is joined by a chemical bond to sugar and a sulfate salt, and is therefore protected from deterioration.
    The addition of water to mustard activates an enzyme -myrosinase - which breaks down the chemical bonds.
    On hydration the isothiocyanate is released and the heat and flavour associated with mustard is developed. Under optimum conditions - room temperature and liquid of neutral pH (i.e. water) being used to make paste - full flavour development can take up to ten minutes. Given an adverse environment, such as premature introduction of low pH liquid, salt or high temperature, the enzyme activity will be inhibited or destroyed. This will result in longer flavour development time at best or at worst only partial or minimal development of heat and flavour, and an unpleasant bitter taste.
    To summarize - in a manufacturing process mustard flour or ground mustard should be mixed with water to form a paste and then aged for ten minutes before the addition of any other ingredients - particularly salt and low pH liquids. Once flavour and heat development has occurred it should be preserved/stabilized by the addition of preservative - usually salt and/or vinegar."

"It is critical that anyone using mustard in food manufacture understands this reaction. At G.S. Dunn new users of mustard flour have been known to comment that the mustard "tastes bitter and has no heat". Invariably the mustard flour is not at fault; it is simply that the enzyme reaction is not being allowed to proceed to its full potential in our customer's manufacturing process.
    It is also important to understand that yellow mustard has a different isothiocyanate to that of oriental/brown.
    The isothiocyanate present in yellow mustard seed is parahydroxybenzyl isothiocyanate. This is non-volatile and produces a sharp "mouth heat" with no pungency. This heat is unstable and dissipates slowly over a period of approximately one week after hydration, leaving a mild "eggy" taste. This heat decomposition can be accelerated by high temperatures - but only after the enzyme reaction has been completed and stabilized.
    Thus flavour evaluation of any product containing yellow mustard should not take place before one week after manufacture (or sooner with a hot process).
    For oriental and brown mustard the isothiocyanate is allyl isothiocyanate. It produces a highly pungent sharp taste with a slight bitter note. Once the heat and flavour is released by the enzyme reaction and it has been stabilized by addition of preservative, it is not affected by heating."

"Proper Procedure For Making Prepared Mustards
    Very often we hear from liquid mustard manufacturers that they are experiencing fluctuations in the flavour and/or heat level of their finished products. More often than not, the fault lies in the method of preparation. Below you will find the correct way to work with mustard in order to minimize flavour variation and maximize shelf life.
    Step 1
    Always mix dry mustard powders with water, at room temperature, to a thick paste. Let sit for 10 minutes, allowing full heat and flavour development. This step is critical to ensure that the flavour and heat desired is developed completely.
    Step 2
    Add salt and/or vinegar to this paste, mixing well. This will ensure that the heat and flavour developed in step 1 above is preserved. By adding the acid or salt too soon, you risk de-stabilizing the system, causing possible off-flavours (bitterness) or premature loss of heat.
    Step 3
    Add all remaining ingredients and homogenize. If possible, remove all air from the product to help minimize colour changes."

"One exception to the above rule:
    In the manufacture of a typical "Hot Dog" style mustard, the preparation of a mustard paste (step 1) is typically ignored. The whole, crushed or ground seed is added directly to a vinegar brine, then processed.
    It is assumed that any off-flavours which might develop are masked by the high levels of vinegar used in the manufacture of this product. It should also be remembered that this style of mustard is manufactured from only yellow seed, which does not contain the volatile heat associated with most mustard flours, and whose heat quickly dissipates even under correct processing conditions.
    Finally, during development of liquid mustards, we recommend that all mustard should "age" for a period of 2-4 weeks before evaluating for taste, flavour and aroma."

Sorry for the long post...

Hope it helps!

Rubén

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Wow, really interesting! Thanks so much for all of the detail.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh wow. Per just about every recipe i've seen online i;ve been makingmmine with ice cold liquid, be it water or cider vinegar.

gonna try with various stages of warm water and see whats up.

Thank you for the information.