Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie intake? page

Harleemac is offline Junior Member

Question Calorie intake?

Shop Now
    I understand the purpose of Primal eating however I'm curious to know how many calories everyone else seems to be eating?

I'm 145lb 5'9 female and I think I'm eating too much.
    Im having breakfast at 4.45am every morning, usually and egg and steak or some other meat and not having anything else accept green tea and water until 12 followed with salad, fruit and chicken.
    While afternoon snack involves homemade protein bar (which I found on MDA) and 50g trail mix and dinner is often meat and salad/vegies.

For exercise I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and have just taken up bikram yoga.
    My calorie intake tends to be around 1600-1700 sometimes more. I haven't gained weight and have lost a couple of lbs however I still think Im eating too much, any thoughts?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I'm 50, 5"8, male, and struggle to stay under 200. If I ate that much, I would be huge!

Everyone is different and many things can affect it. I take meds for hypothyroid, and keep testosterone at 1,100, but still can't eat too much.

I would move the snack to mid morning and do less fruit, and less in the evening.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You are a good weight and not gaining. You should just keep eating as you are. Good, isn't it?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    DFH, did you mean 2000 calories? 200 is... well... uhh...

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post
    DFH, did you mean 2000 calories? 200 is... well... uhh...
    Haha. I meant 200 lb. I was 310+ before going VLC and getting thyroid sorted out. I don't think my metabolism is 100%, maybe still .6-.8 of what it should be. I don't do 3 full meals a day, and working it off just doesn't help. Tried that over and over. I could be that it will always be that way. I still read a lot and watch forums like this for clues, but so far nothing that works.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I'm a hair's breadth under 5'9" and at 1600-1700 calories I'll lose weight if I'm also working out. If I'm being a lazy ass, I can maintain pretty effortlessly averaging that calorie level...I think it's about what I come out at naturally eating to satiety. Maybe a couple hundred calories higher....

If things are working for you (ie, you are look/feel/perform like you want to), then don't stress about the details. Eat nutrient dense foods to satiety. Tinker with calorie counts/macro's/etc if you are trying to do something specific, like lean out, gain mass, etc.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I am 40 years old, 5'9", around 150 lbs for some time now. I can maintain at around 1800-2000, but have to eat below that, at around 1600 to see any noticeable fat loss. My carbs are kept pretty low most days, at around 50g, sometimes less. There are days that I eat more, maybe up to 150g, if I decide to splurge. I tried doing a binge day once per week to see if it spurred any additional fat loss, but after about 4 weeks, I didn't notice any real change.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'9 and started out at 145 lbs. when I first went low carb/primal. I was athletic and slim at that weight, and based on your activities, I assume you are too? Anyway, that wouldn't have been too much food for me then; and it isn't too much for me now and I'm a good 10 pounds lighter these days. I don't understand why you would think its "too much" though. Is your stomach hurting because you are packing it full beyond what you desire? If no, then you're good. Get rid of this calories in calories out CW nonsense. It really is nonsense. Calories may have more meaning if you are eating pears or potatoes or "primal" desserts, but, if you're not, you don't need to be too cerebral about the amount of food. I totally understand this initial mistrust in letting your body balance out the right amount of fat for itself, but it will, given a low amount of carbohydrates. Its that simple. Yum, enjoy your steak.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    If you're losing weight then you're not eating too much. Actually that's a bit of an oversimplification. If you're concerned about your fat levels use your waist measurement as your guide. If you're concerned about your muscle levels then weight is a good measure. When you're working out and trying to lose weight it's easy to lose fat and gain muscle negating any change in weight (sometimes increasing it!) however your body dimensions will surely change and this is why waist circumference is a much better measure for your "fattiness".
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm 5'1.5"- 5'3" (depending on which convenience store I'm leaving), and 120 lb. My body actually naturally calorie cycles. I'll have 1-2 days of eating MAYBE 600-900 calories, then 2-3 days of eating 1800-2300 cal, then a day of eating everything in sight (call it 2700 cal), then it'll start over. When it's all said and done, it averages out to 1750 cal/ day. I'm not trying to lose weight, but my body seems to be maintaining pretty happily on that. Granted, I'm on thyroid meds as well, so that does factor in.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast