Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal for Kiddos! page

danceswithducks is offline Junior Member

Primal for Kiddos!

Does anyone on this forum have their kiddos on this lifestyle. My 14 month old son has extremely bad eczema and I have read a lot that going paleo/primal has cleared up a lot of people of eczema. Has anyone had experience with this and what would you give your children? Thanks!

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    I have a seven year old boy and a 2 1/2 year old girl and they eat about half primal. For dinner we all eat primal, whatever I am cooking that night. Breakfast is sometimes primal for them, eggs, bacon, sausage on the weekends. Weekdays are more tough and they still eat oatmeal and yogurt fruit smoothies, mostly because my son just does not like the coconut flour pancakes I like to make for myself. Lunches unfortunately are still non-primal for them. They get sandwiches and fruit and crackers and things like that. Mostly because I haven't figured out how to pack primal lunches for kids who don't have access to a refrigerator or a microwave during the day. I would have no problem feeding my kids 100% primal if I could swing it.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    try mark's banana almond butter pancakes - delicious! We're in the same situation - lunches are tricky, but I use gluten-free biscuits and bars where possible (a small step in a better direction) and they have a box of salad, an ice brick keeps it cool. No meat though, I want real cold for that in this weather.

I think it's worthwhile to consider your key issues and work on them first. With eczema I seem to remember wheat gluten is an issue though I might be wrong. For some people with diabetes in the family, dropping sugar might be a bigger issue.

My approach has been trying to introduce little bits of more primal foods (hard because they had very bad, bland eating habits before) for example adding a topping of coconut flakes and nuts to cereals, a bit of coconut milk in the smoothies. I've tried using some fine dessicated coconut in oatmeal, I like it (I use half and half rice porridge plus coconut) myself but my kids aren't fond of it. (if you try it, use extra liquid).

school lunches are so frustrating, anything prepackaged is full of either sugar or salt.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    Be very careful trailing any nuts! If baby already has eczema I would be very careful with the top 8 allergens, that includes dairy, eggs, nuts, and fish.

My children have food allergies and it all started as eczema. I am moving them more and more to primal, even though my son cannot eat dairy, eggs, or nuts. Little man still has brown rice bread for breakfast while my girls have eggs and bacon. But lunch and dinner we all eat the same thing.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    PALEO KID QUEST - PART 1 - by Patty Ruiz - Paleo Chronicles
    The above link might be helpful to some...there are 2 parts to it
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my guy just eats what we eat. yesterday, we had burgers with guac and broccoli/tomato salad for dinner; for lunch we had left over chicken salad with our greens; for breakfast we had eggs, bacon, and veggies, plus DS had berries and fruit. DS also had apples with nut butter and a banana throughout the day.

he's 2.5, but he's pretty much always eaten like this.

Jessibear is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    my guy just eats what we eat. yesterday, we had burgers with guac and broccoli/tomato salad for dinner; for lunch we had left over chicken salad with our greens; for breakfast we had eggs, bacon, and veggies, plus DS had berries and fruit. DS also had apples with nut butter and a banana throughout the day.

he's 2.5, but he's pretty much always eaten like this.
    Same for my 2.5 year old son, but he still eats steel-cut oats for breakfast sometimes and drinks milk.

athenalove46 is offline Junior Member
    All my 3 kids eat Primally. And they LOVE it! My 7 yo is a garbage gut, she will beg for more. My 3 yo is learning to like it all after a few months of grumbling. The baby, well, he's 15 months and is just like his sister and will eat just about anything. It does take some time for them to be open to new tastes and textures and no bread. I think that has been the hardest for them is the bread. But, we must be doing something right when tonight my 3 yo ate 2 tacos in a leaf of Boston bibb lettuce.

They have been very hungry lately so I have been trying to pump up their fat and protein intake hoping that will do the trick and so far so good!

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    My 2.5 yr old son is primal, but fussy. Generally I'm a take it or leave it kind of Mamma, but I'm weaning him off his bottle to a sippy cup right now (we're on our third day replacing his morning bottle with a cup and he totally refused to drink any of it..argh), so I'm accommodating him with primal foods he likes. He loves salmon cakes, and cake cakes which is an egg mixed with some mashed sweet potato and flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. I fry it in coconut oil and it reminds me of french toast. Very tasty. He used to eat hamburger with sauce (chimi churri from argentina--frikkin awesome stuff), but for some reason he's decided he doesn't like it anymore so I'll add some hamburger to his cake cakes and he never knows it's there! ahahahahahaha!
    He loooves apples and talks about them all the time. Sometimes when he's in his room I hear him longingly say, 'apple". I only give it to him once or twice a week because he won't eat anything else.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

teelea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My kids eat mostly primal - because I am the one cooking for them We have no processed foods in the house etc.
    But, they still go to granny's, or their dad's, and school - I don't police them and they have begun to make their own choices that I approve of!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast