Thread: Do I need to "refeed"? page

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member

Question Do I need to "refeed"?

From my understanding one's body needs glycogen to provide energy for long sustained intense exercise. I'm unsure of whether my exercise counts as that or if I don't need to even worry about glycogen stores.
    I swim at a moderate pace with some breaks for about an hour a few times a week, run at a slow sustainable pace (not sweaty or out of breath) sometimes when I feel like it (maybe averaging once a week), run sprints every week and do brief but intense body weight sessions 2-3 times a week. I also hike and walk whenever (various amounts).
    In all probably 2 hours of moderate paced activity, maybe 30 min-1hour intense, and 1-3 hours low-level per week.
    I'm really trying to lose fat and eating lots of non-starchy veggies, eggs, meat, fats, a few berries (10 berries a day maybe), and even fewer nuts (a TB chopped on salad). So I feel like my diet is in pretty decent shape but I'm wondering if carb re-feeds are necessary for someone with my activity level. I feel fine during exercise but I wonder if I would feel different with more carbs. I don't want to be running on empty so to speak but I also don't want to sabotage my fat lose by re-feeding if its not necessary.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Try it... add a sweet potatoe or a banana for a while.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple...

give this a read to understand the re-feed.

ani
    I don't like the idea of limiting fats at all. However it may be something I tinker with later on. For now would just eating one starch (a banana or a sweet potato like arthurb999 suggested) after an intense workout give me the glucose my body needs for my glycogen stores without restricting fat intake.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If you're not suffering from any workout fatigue, I wouldn't.

Most Americans run on glucose with the standard high carb diet most of us eat. This keeps us out of "fat metabolism mode". Hell, Americans are so bad at metabolizing fat, we feel ill when we do it for long periods until our body can finally adjust. We call it the "carb flu". The idea behind eating primally is to regulate our insulin levels so we can properly metabolize fat. This allows us to more efficiently burn fat at all times, including exercise. In fact, our bodies get so efficient at burning fat, we can convert fat to glycogen via gluconeogenesis during periods of low level and sedentary activity.

Carb cycling, as I understand it, is a means of "resetting" our metabolism. It switches us back into glucose mode for awhile, so the switch back into fat burning mode after a few days of running of glucose sends that shock through the system and ramps up fat burn again. It's not the time when you're eating high carb that burns the fat - it's once you get off the high carb and settle back into fat burning mode. If you simply incorporate a banana or a sweet potato with your current high-fat primal diet, here is what I suspect will happen:

Nothing.

This shouldn't do anything to help your fat loss in my opinion. What it will do is put you into "fat maintenance" mode and not "fat burn" mode. The big trouble is when you eat high fat AND high carb - your body will put fat burning on hold and store the fat you're eating to process the glucose as it's essentially a poison in your blood similar to alcohol. The reason why it's effective when carb cycling is because you eat really low fat while eating very high carb. That'll reset your metabolism while limiting the amount of dietary fat you store while in glucose mode.

Do one or the other. Either eat high fat and low carb all the time, or go on brief 48 hour or so diets of high carb and low fat, then snap back into high fat and low carb. Don't do anything with moderate carbs unless you're 100% happy where you're at or I suspect you'll shift away from fat burn to maintenance.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed any difference, now that I am keto-adapted. Honestly, I think it's a lot simpler that many folks here make it out to be. I eat Primal foods, follow LeanSaloon's approach and don't worry about my macro-nutrient ratios anymore.

ani
    Thank you ChocoTaco and Dragonfly, that was exactly what I needed to hear. No bananas or sweet potatoes for me for at least awhile. Its nice to know I'm not tearing my body apart by not giving it carbs (the CW belief)

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    I would refeed only if you were suffering from "The Wall". When doing BJJ 6 nights a week, if I didn't do a carb up every couple days I would hit "The Wall".

While doing a starting strength progression, I didn't have that problem. My point is it is entirely about your activity level and if you aren't having problems don't screw with it.
    If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    To keep up with my workouts especially a lot of full court basketball I need to get some carbs in every week. I have no weight issues whatsoever and I probably need to gain a few pounds at this point. I just listen to my body. I try to go carbless after an intense session of hoops but I don't feel great if I do. I just listen to my body. If I didn't workout so intensely than I wouldn't really need to incorporate more carbs.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

ani
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    To keep up with my workouts especially a lot of full court basketball I need to get some carbs in every week. I have no weight issues whatsoever and I probably need to gain a few pounds at this point. I just listen to my body. I try to go carbless after an intense session of hoops but I don't feel great if I do. I just listen to my body. If I didn't workout so intensely than I wouldn't really need to incorporate more carbs.
    I feel like theres a lot to be said for listening to one's body. I ran a 5K several days ago and was craving something carby afterward so I had an apple and felt much better, but in general I think I perform well on my normal primal diet. With that being said when I really want a sweet potato I'll have one