Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a huge fan of veggies everyday - will eating VLC or ZC kill me? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Not a huge fan of veggies everyday - will eating VLC or ZC kill me?

Primal Fuel
    So a big part of me sticking to a diet is that I enjoy eating it as it makes me feel good. To that end i still wrestle with veggies - somedays I want a salad. Someday I just want some meat. Most days I only eat maybe some onion or a few green beans - by the time I eat the 150 grams of protein I need (I am 350lbs so I need a lot of protein even at .6g per lean body mass) I am pretty full. I take Mark's Damage Control formula to help with supplements.

I am paranoid about dying of a heart attack before I lose all the weight, but I know the times I feel the urge to go off primal plan is when I choke down veggies I dont want for the sake of health.

So will VLC kill me?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    no, it's won't. consider the groups of people who live in frozen areas...they're not eating a whole lot of veggies either, and they did ok.

you can go ahead and become a carnivore if you want (make sure you're eating meats that cover all the nutritional bases beyond protein), but i recommend learning to like veggies. you really don't need to eat them every day, but they are the basis for this way of life. plus, they're tasty.

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    No. If you're worried about all the fat, then just eat higher protein stuff like fish.

Personally, I had digestion issues eating VLC. Things were, shall we say, a bit loose. I incorporated more avocado, coconut, veggies, and sweet potatoes back in and everything is fine.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    (make sure you're eating meats that cover all the nutritional bases beyond protein)
    Yes, meaning a great deal of organ meats (liver, sweetbreads, kidney, brains) of grass-fed, free-range animals.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ittybitty is offline Member
    I am ok with some veggies now but I didn't eat a single veggie that was not a potato or yam until my mid-20s. Mix them up with stuff you like (ground meat, bacon, eggs, butter, herbs, cheese, etc.). Also, learn to cook them the way you like. I used to think veggies were always a gross mushy mess but later realized that many places just cooked them to death that way.

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    Experiment with hiding veggis in other foods when you cook. As a mom of a seven year old boy who refuses to eat vegetables I am a pro at this. Make some primal chili and shred some carrots and red peppers into the pot. You will never even taste them. Make cooked vegetable purees (like from squash or carrots or even greens) and add a half cup of puree to the next meatloaf you make. I guarantee you will not notice the veggis ;-) Honestly I don't even like choking down a plate of boring plain vegetables. The key is to get creative with your cooking. Lots of full fat creamy sauce will make any vegetable taste good ;-)

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea of cycling - one day have VLC, the next day more carbs in the form of vegies and salad.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that veggies ARE important for gut health because vegetable fiber supports the good bacteria in your gut. So long term it's a good habit. A lot of people here are almost exclusively carnivorous, and I'm not sure what their answer is regarding that. My guess is that with the proper nutrition of organ meats and absence of toxins that the digestive eco system ajusts to a different but healthy status, but I'd like to see some data on this.

+1 for hiding veggies in things you like, works for me. I always love my mum's slow cooked stews with the potato and carrot cooked right in with the meat, delicious. I put frozen spinach in curry sauces and omelettes.

What sort of vegetables do you enjoy, when you do eat them?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    I eat a lot of onions. That is my most numerous vegetable. I eat mushrooms and tomatoes a lot but those are not vegetables. Spinach in a salad is good along with most lettuces, but I don't enjoy just steamed spinach as much unless its doused in fat and I'm still iffy about too much fat on my veggies. Celery and pickles in tuna salad. I tried brussel sprouts but the steam in the bag ones are very bitter. Broccoli I will eat on occasion but 99% is onions.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    No, I just ate a veggie today and it made me ill. Of course it might have been the hfcs I later found out was in the "vegetable". Read your labels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast