Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made liver and HATE it...what did I do wrong? page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

Made liver and HATE it...what did I do wrong?

Primal Fuel
    I just made chicken liver for the first time, and absolutely hate it. It tastes so metallic, like I put a bunch of pennies in my mouth. I managed to swallow down a few bites, but I just can't eat this very often! I sauteed it in coconut oil over medium heat, with salt and pepper. Was this just a bad way to cook it? Is it supposed to taste like metal?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I've just returned to liver, having hated it as a child. I'm not sure if this actually does anything, but I 'marinate' calves liver in cream for a day or two and the resulting cooked liver is much less metallic than I remember. I also saute it in grass fed butter. I'm actually starting to like it.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Primal K@ is offline Member
    Liver can get a metallic taste if it's overcooked. Try cooking it for less time, maybe?

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Chicken liver pate is delicious:

Balthazar’s Chicken Liver Mousse | CHEESESLAVE

So is calves liver, just make sure not to overcook it.

Primal K@ is offline Member
    Liver is really delicious cooked in bacon fat. I usually coat the liver with coconut flour mixed with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper and fry it in bacon fat. Served with sauteed onions is delicious

I "hide" beef liver in meatballs and chili. I'm working up to pate. It's a paradigm shift for sure!

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    I hide my liver too. Cook liver until I can cut it up easily. Fry some diced bacon, add onions, celery, mushrooms and cook until soft. Then I add the liver to that. At one time, it would all be placed over some rice.
    Calm the f**k down.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I haven't gotten up my courage for liver yet (Working on it) but I have read that soaking it in milk can help draw out some of that metallic flavor

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    No matter what I try, I have to hide it in my other meats. My favorite is in Spaghetti Sauce cooked in with the Ground Beef. I have not had liver for quite some time though. It's a hard one for me, along with other offal...<shivers>

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    I tried buffalo liver awhile ago and hated it, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me, I'm not exactly a liver expert.... I have some calves liver in the freezer I'm waiting to try it in some meatballs, hopefully it will be tasty. Good luck if you decide to try it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast