Thread: Some questions about getting started... page

Marymk is offline Junior Member

Some questions about getting started...

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

Mary here, and just getting started with the paleo plan. Some background; I am 46, have been on a macro based diet, though not strict, for the past few years. I have always considered that I eat pretty well, avoid processed food, lots of fresh veggies. A few months ago I was diagnosed with GERD, and have been pretty miserable. I stopped drinking alcohol, coffee, and started being more strict with my macro diet. I also started taking PPIs, Nexium for 2 months, then prevacid for 2 months. I did not get better. I would inprove a bit, then get worse. I also gained weight (how i don't know!), became very bloated with a stomach. I have never had a stomach! So, in desperation I scoured the net for some hope, and found several folks who had healed using the Paleo diet. I stopped eating grains on Sat, had some raw veggie juice for dinner, and then all day yesterday ate a ton of veggies and some lean meat. Well guess what? GERD is 80% better with no meds. Awesome! However, I feel kind of off, weakish, and have had the worst bout of diarrhea I have ever had. I also had some joint pain and achiness. I stayed home today. Perhaps I just caught a bug and it coincided with starting this plan, but am wondering is there is a difficult "ramping up" period for those of us used to eating carbs all day. Also, I considered that my body is detoxing from PPIs. I am truly excited about the improvement of my acid reflux, and for the first time in a while have hope that I could get my energy and vitality back. Any advice about being a newbie much appreciated.

MK

Ah, carb flu. I just read the primer for newbies. well that explains a lot. i have tried everything, so going to stick this out. took a walk and a feeling better.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough fat? Carb flu usually doesn't hit so quickly...
    Also, the digestive issue might have been due to excessive veggie consumption -- how much is a "ton" for you?
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Definitely sounds like carb flu. There are different schools of thought around here as far as carb flu. Some suggest white-knuckling it while others prefer to wean themselves slowly off of all the starchy carbs. You can have a little sweet potato, winter squash, or even a little white potato and white rice if you are feeling horrible. The first two are considered primal in moderation anyway.

Welcome to MDA and best of luck to you!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Thanks guys. Perhaps a ton is a bit of an exaggeration. But I replaced carbs with veggie juice, baked veggies and a salad. So every meal. The thing that makes me want to not eat carbs is how quickly and drastically my GERD improved. I am talking a day and a half without carbs and dairy. Not 100%, but I can't even tell you how it feels to not have that persistant pain. I have been eating fat, some olive oil and coconut oil. Almonds too. I will try upping that a bit and see if it helps.

Dreaming of feeling great...

Mary

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yay! Welcome. Glad you are feeling better.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Try a day without the veggie juice. I suspect that might be causing your bathroom issues.

I posted this elsewhere, but wanted to update here as well:

Hi all. I stayed up last night and ready every one of these posts, and I have to say, it got me more excited than I already am. I am 1 week primal, and cannot believe the changes in ONE WEEK. It is truly amazing. Here are my gains:

Lost 5 lbs of bloat -- stomach looking pretty flat for the first time in soooo long.
    Improved energy
    Period this time lighter and easier -- I have been having peri-menopause periods for a year now; very heavy, crampy, tired.
    Calmer, happier
    More optimistic
    No gas
    Weird rash behind ears disappearing
    Hypoglycemia...GONE

But best of all....

MY GERD IS 90-95% GONE!!!!

For those who have suffered with this, you know how debilitating it can be. I was on meds for 4 months, nexium and prevacid, 2 x daily. I was eating a "clean" macrobiotic diet (rice and beans every meal) and getting worse. I was bloated, gassy, and beyond frustrated with my health. I have felt like s&*t for so long that it had become the norm. At 46 I wonered if I had to accept bad health as my lot in life. I stopped the PPI meds over a week ago and went full on primal. Wow! Twice I woke up in the middle of the night this week, and when I realized that I wasn't in pain and so much better I got so excited that I couldn't go back to sleep. I am so happy about this. So...I am a convert and believer. I got a huge chunk of my life back, along with a good dose of hope. I can't wait to see what changes come next. Here is a new acronym: BAP - Born Again Primal.

I will continue to report the good changes, and look forward to reading everyone elses. Hell, I might be in a bikini by June...