Thread: Just had my blood glucose measured page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Just had my blood glucose measured

Primal Fuel
    It came back as 4.3 mmol/L (UK).

I think that's 77.4 in the US. The doctor was checking for diabetes because I've been very thirsty and dehydrated, despite drinking plenty of water. It just seems to pass right through me and I have to go to the bathroom very frequently, usually 15-20 times a day. I had this before I went low carb three months ago.

Any ideas as to what it is?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Any changes in salt intake recently?

jedikelly is offline Member
    check out Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution episode 68 about 25 minutes in. They discuss blood glucose at length

Yes, I switched to sea salt and it seems every recipe calls for it, but I don't use loads. I read somewhere that salt helps the body retain water?

Quote Originally Posted by jedikelly View Post
    check out Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution episode 68 about 25 minutes in. They discuss blood glucose at length
    Can I download this from somewhere?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Yep, salt increases extra-cellular fluid. Here's my possibly flawed explanation based on what my med-student wife told me a few days ago (so take it with a grain of salt, HA!): Salt makes you crave water so that the concentration of sodium in your body stays equal. After correcting for the sodium balance, total fluid level balance will be corrected via urination. So maybe by using the sea salt you've increased your intake enough that you just require more water to balance everything. As long as you're excreting the excess water, it's fine. Some people don't balance their fluid levels as well and the increase in volume leads to chronically elevated blood pressure. Which is why CW says that salt causes high blood pressure (only true for some people).

Google is your friend: The Paleo Solution episode 68 - Google Search

Barb is offline Senior Member
    If you are very thirsty all the time, drink a lot and pee alot, you may have a condition called SIADH - Symptoms of Inappropriate Anti-Diuretic Hormone secretion. ADH is a hormone that is secreted when you start to get dehydrated. It makes you thirsty. Sometimes it gets secreted constantly and makes you feel thirsty all the time. This is obviously a derangement of normal hormonal functioning. It can be brought on by taking various medications - antidepressants in th SSRI category can do this. It can be triggered by more serious things as well, like cancer or a pituitary tumor.

This level of thirst and urination does not sound like something related to how much salt you are or aren't adding to your foods. It could lead to electrolyte imbalance and may be a serious problem. I would keep trying to get to the bottom of it with your doctor. Take care and let us know what you find out.