Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can never manage 3 times a week in the gym anymore? - Lack of protein/ cals page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Can never manage 3 times a week in the gym anymore? - Lack of protein/ cals

Primal Fuel
    This has been bugging me recently, I used to be focused on 3x heavy weights in the gym along with a crap load of food and protein shakes. Now I am in a more relaxed lifestyle. I lift heavy things on the monday, and try to aim for some bodyweight/sprint/sledgehammer workouts on weds/friday.

Thing is though, I am really gassed 24/7. I may manage my heavy workout on the monday, but I feel like i'm still needing rest right up until the end of the week. Since going primal I have cut out whey protein after my workouts, could this be a factor to poor recovery?

I eat 3 meals a day with very little snacking. I have 3 eggs&bacon every morning. A salad with walnut oil and meat for lunch, and a heavy protein & veg dinner most nights. I work from home in a sedentary manner.

Reccon I should re-incorporate shakes after a workout, or have a bigger breakfast? It's annoying, i'm only 21 and feel older (Recovery wise!).

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Probably more total calories and maybe more carbs. Also, how much do you sleep?

I always go to sleep around 10:45pm - 11:30pm and rise at 6-8am

Joe B is offline Member
    What's your height and weight?

Mike333 is offline Junior Member
    Reckon you should throw caution to the wind and try destroying a bowl of primal starches to get you prepared for your workout! You will be amazed by the beast it unleashes- just don't fall back into the microwaved oatmeal nonsense of the old gym days.

Grok on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike333 View Post
    Reckon you should throw caution to the wind and try destroying a bowl of primal starches to get you prepared for your workout! You will be amazed by the beast it unleashes- just don't fall back into the microwaved oatmeal nonsense of the old gym days.

Grok on!
    I remember when I did GOMAD (Gallon of full fat milk a day...give or take) I was smashing them weights around like no mans business, and then some. What do you recommend? Maybe this is what I need, Afterall I do weights, intense sledgehammer workouts, and sprinting, all of which must need some energy to burn up!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I know you gave a rough diet up top, but can you try plugging in some info to a calorie calculator to get some calorie numbers and maybe a macronutrient breakdown?

+1 on the starches, maybe start with sweet potatoes?

+1 on wanting to know height and weight, as well.

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    I eat a sweet potato before and after workouts. Consider carb cycling -- eating higher carbs sometimes, and lower carbs on non-workout days.

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    I'll second the more carbs thing. I play hockey and find that if I low-carb, I'm gassed after 10 mins.

Starches are a good option if you have time. I sometimes will make myself a banana-berry shake an hour or two before I play and I feel like I have much more energy for the game.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavemanj View Post
    I eat a sweet potato before and after workouts. Consider carb cycling -- eating higher carbs sometimes, and lower carbs on non-workout days.
    This^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast