Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simply can not afford grass-fed or organic (UK) page

HERC0 is offline Member

Simply can not afford grass-fed or organic (UK)

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone

This is my first post on these forums so a big hello!

I wanted to ask how much success I am likely to forfeit from being unable to afford grass-fed or organic meats and vegatables?

I understand there are no real substitutes for these healthy foods but can anyone offer any advice or suggestions for what I can do?

I am a student on a very low part time income in the UK. I could probably afford supermarket meat with the Red Tractor symbol which is "an independent mark of quality that guarantees the food we’re buying comes from farms and food companies that meet high standards of food safety and hygiene, animal welfare and environmental protection" (from the Red Tractor website), but I understand that this does not mean the animal was grass-fed and of course not raised to organic standards. Other sources I've read however, say that most British farms do raise grass-fed animals anyway?

I've never been to a farmers market but I believe there is one on the last Saturday of every month in the city where I live (so this coming Saturday) which I intend to look in to. I imagine the meat and produce will still be more expensive than what I can get in the supermarket though? In which case I still may not be able to afford it.

Many thanks in advance!

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    Just by going primal means you have already made a great step towards greater health . The elimination of grains for one is going to benefit you enormously . Don't worry too much about grass fed or organic if you really cant afford it , but it would be worth your while to go to the market and ask lots of questions , and don't be scared to haggle , I do it all the time and get heaps of bargains . You wont get anything if you don't ask !

danandvicky is offline Member
    learn what time your supermarkerts do their reductions. As organic produce is not as popular (due to the price as you have found out) it is usually reduced after a few days on the shelves. A lot of the stuff on supermarket reduction (clearance) sections is organic. You must also consider that if it is being reduced it is near the end of its shelf life and thus has probably lost some nutritional value (vegetables and fruits) but if you really want to avoid pesticides, hormones etc then maybe this is a good option. Would you rather have fresh produce with trace pesticides etc or produce nearing the end of its shelf life with non of these nasties. Also, its probably worth noting that supermarkets usually reduce produce well before it goes off.
    Good luck i am in the uk and have worked as a butcher for around 10 years and currently work for the largest supermarket in the uk as they destroyed the small independent butcher trade long ago.

ps. the red tractor is bullshit

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Hi
    Could you please explain why you think the red tractor is bullshit. I thought it meant the animals had been raised in decent conditions.

To the OP. I have read that lamb/sheep are usualy grass fed as they do not thrive in factory farms and so are left out on the hills to eat grass all day.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I have heard the same thing about lamb - it usually is grass fed. I buy welsh or NZ lamb. Delish. You can get frozen NZ lamb in some supermarkets which is a bit cheaper still.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    When you get to your farmers' market, do ask the stallholders if they have organ meats. I found the other day that they had, just not on display, and came home with a lamb's heart for 61p. That'd be a good-sized meal for me.

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simodalcais View Post
    Just by going primal means you have already made a great step towards greater health . The elimination of grains for one is going to benefit you enormously . Don't worry too much about grass fed or organic if you really cant afford it , but it would be worth your while to go to the market and ask lots of questions , and don't be scared to haggle , I do it all the time and get heaps of bargains . You wont get anything if you don't ask !
    +1 to this. I am a student as well and have never had grassfed beef/fish since going paleo 3.5 yeard ago. You are doing better than pretty much any other student since most of them probably rely on fast food, top ramen, cereal, etc. I supplement with fish oil to help balance out the O6-O3 ratio, but other than that I don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzy10 View Post
    Hi
    Could you please explain why you think the red tractor is bullshit. I thought it meant the animals had been raised in decent conditions.

To the OP. I have read that lamb/sheep are usualy grass fed as they do not thrive in factory farms and so are left out on the hills to eat grass all day.
    The red tractor sticker is one of those self regulating schemes. Basically you sign up with the company that invented the red tractor sticker and they come to your supplier and have a look around and say that everything is ok and you can use their stickers. You have to pay them a fee obviously so if you are a producer who maintains excellent welfare and cleanliness but doesnt want to pay some arbitrary regulator a yearly fee then you cant use their stickers. Yet if you only just scrape through some random baseline measures that this company sets then you get to use the sticker. I think what i am trying to say is that the sticker is not regulated by any government department - it is entirely a private enterprise run for profit (not yours or the animals safety). My first ever job in butchery was in a small independent butchers and we had thousands upon thousands of the red tractor stickers piled up above a fridge. We were told to stick them on everything!! if it came from the uk or not!! Its kind of a self advertising ploy by the red tractor company - they dish their stickers out by the million and get their name everywhere until everyone in the industry thinks they need it just to be on a level playing field. Its a phenomena that happens in all profit making walks of life. Hope that helps. There was also a big expose on the red tractor and other worthless self regulation companies on a channel 4 documentary not so long ago.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    You can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I'll go organic or grass fed if the price is right, other than that I don't sweat it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast