Thread: Vitamin D--how much do I need? page

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D--how much do I need?

Hello,
    I just had my first Vitamin D test. I was at 29 ng/m. According to my lab, 30-100 is the norm.

So, how do I determine how much D I need to take to increase my levels? And is there a particular brand people would recommend?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Hello,
    I just had my first Vitamin D test. I was at 29 ng/m. According to my lab, 30-100 is the norm.

So, how do I determine how much D I need to take to increase my levels? And is there a particular brand people would recommend?
    You are off to a good start. A least you will be able to know what is going on.

I guess you pick a number and take that much until your next test is where you want it to be!

Uncledave is offline Member
    There is a lot of info here if you do a search. Griiff and cillikat in particular have posted quite a bit of info.

As a starter, the general rule of thumb is that for every additional 1000 iu's you take daily you will raise your number by 10 over an extended period. You'll also want to make sure you are taking the D3 with oils/fats or in a form that includes it (softgels or liquid).

Here is a good thread to read http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread12974.html

Good luck.
    Last edited by Uncledave; 03-21-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added thread link
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis recommends your Vitamin D3 Blood level to be 60 to 70 ng/ml.

You need to take 3,000 IU Vitamin D3 Geltabs MORE than you have been taking to get your blood level into the 60 to 70 ng/ml recommended. See my Vitamin D3 report below for more.

Grizz

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the info and links everyone!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My level was at 31 ng/mL and I started taking 1,000 units per 25Lbs of body weight. That jacked it up to 75 ng/mL.

Interesting note to this, Dr. K. Harris replied to a comment I left on his board saying that he was "suspicious of supplementing to levels that high" and 30 was probably plenty.

I'm still going to aim for somewhere around 60 ng/mL so I am not taking quite as much now.