Thread: non-primal partner and sugar page

MyBodyMyTemple is offline Senior Member

non-primal partner and sugar

Primal Fuel
    Ok two things....
    First, my partner is not primal in any way. He eats grains, sugar, dairy, everything, constantly. It wasn't hard for a while but now I am struggling to say no to all the treats! How do you all say no to all the junk??

Second, sometimes I like a piece of gum just to freshen up my breath. However, whenever I eat gum it gives me massive sugar cravings. Whenever I chew gum I eventually have to have chocolate or something sweet. If I don't chew gum then after a week or so cravings stop. But I want fresh breath! Anyone have ideas for fresh breath when you can't brush? And anyone having sugar cravings after chewing gum??

Tarosuma is offline Member
    Hi there
    I can sympathize with you on the partner not being primal, I am sure many of the members here can. I am not sure how long you have been primal but I can say that I don't feel tempted very often by his food. He eats whatever I cook but adds in lots of non primal extras. I used to be seriously tempted by them and would have to leave the room and keep busy but these days I actually feel more repulsed by them than tempted. In the old days, I would also use primal treats to get me through those times and I still do occasionally but generally that kind of food just doesn't do it for me anymore.
    Re the gum and fresh breath thing, what about a few sprigs of herbs such as mint or parsley? Would that help?

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there, getting over wanting sugar is hard. I still struggle with it for me what seems to be working is letting myself have some fruit to satisfy my urges for something sweet. As for freshening your breath up I like to chew on anise seeds they taste a bit sweet and like licorice and help with bad breath. A few fresh mint leaves like Tarosuma suggested also help for me and taste yummy.

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    I third the mint idea ....works for me

Pookie is offline Member
    Fennel seeds are chewed after eating in some counties to both freshen breath and to promote good digestion. They have a fresh anise like taste too. (you can even buy them candy coated, but thats hardly helpful!)