Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Steak page

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member

Question about Steak

I am just coming off being a vegetarian for 10 years and venturing into steak. I have a place that sells grass-fed beef, but where I'm clueless is what are all the different types and what is the best to buy to the worst to buy? I saw top sirloin, t-bone, new york something, and I can't remember what other kinds.
    What kind do you buy? Why? Any that you avoid? If so, why?

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how you want to cook it

I like filet mignon best (tenderloin) but it is pricey
    I also like New York strip
    Tri-tip is good if it is not over cooked but it is not usually a steak cut

T-bone is the "classic steak" but doesnt tend to be one of my favorites.
    Top sirloin I tend to find rather tough although ok for stirfries
    Flank should be used for something like fajitas

stew meat is sold precut and it is tempting to use for a stirfry but dont. It is a tough cut. On the other hand dont use a more tender cut in a stew, the slow slow cooking of a stew melts the tough fat and makes the stew better.

Anything labled "roast" should be slow roasted, crockpot cooked or braised.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Good advice from Runnergal. Beyond that, I would say ask the butcher. And experiment. :-)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Ribeye is my favorite. It has a good deal of fat which makes it taste incredibly good and juicy. It is pretty easy to cook and doesn't tend to get tough or rubbery if you mess up and cook it too long like the other cuts that are leaner.

I also use beef short ribs or beef shank for my bone broth stews since they have a lot of bone which is great for a good mineral rich bone broth. (great for digestion!)

Also, you can't go wrong with grass fed ground beef. So many options with ground beef. If you are going grass fed then get the fattier cuts. In all cases, if you happen to have conventional meat (non-grass fed) then make sure you get the leaner cuts of meat because of the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratios. Grass fed beef has a ratio of 1:3 o3:06 while conventional meat can be as much as 1:10 or more.

I also agree with Hedonist to ask your butcher. If they are legit butchers than they will be happy to give you advice on what types of uses each cut is best for.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member

..helpful, aren't I?..

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    RIB EYE!!! With nothing but S&P and maybe some butter on top.

And chuck roast is amazing in the Grok Pot.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Ribeye is the most delicious, IMO. New York Strip Steak is almost as good, but has less fat (we like fat). Porterhouse is the King of Steaks, a combo of both (sometimes called T-Bone). If you go to Peter Luger you will get Porterhouse, doused in butter. These are pricey and special. Skirt steak is delicious, and cheaper. This is the kind of steak used for fajitas. Hangar steak is cheaper still and tasty, but a bit tougher. All of these I've listed are the steaks that are good for grilling medium rare.

Welcome to our Carnivore Club.

I had bone marrow for dinner, never tried it before. Not quite a fan yet. But mmmmm, steak!
    Last edited by aktres; 03-20-2011 at 10:32 PM.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    If you can find Chuck Eye, get it!!! my butcher told me about it. Thats my favorite secret ever. Seriously-- its the first steak that I didn't totally mess up and the first one that gave me the 'melty' experience!

-写
    Little Saiyan

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Rump is the best. Cook it no more than medium rare.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone. Mark's post today had this helpful link in it too, good timing.
    How to Cook the Perfect Steak | Mark's Daily Apple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast