Thread: Tips for cooking grass-fed beef? page

BobbySoFamous is offline Junior Member

Tips for cooking grass-fed beef?

There are posts discussing the differences in tastes between grass fed/grain fed beef, but I was wondering if there are certain ways that you guys cook the grass fed stuff differently. The farmer who I buy my grass fed meat from told me today that you have to cook it differently since it's less fatty and tougher, I believe he said you have to cook it for a longer time at a lower temperature. Any advice on specifics of how to do this? I cook a lot of stir fries and I don't know if there are other tricks to make it more pleasing to eat.

Here's how we cook steaks:

1. Put in an airtight container and allow to come up to room temperature.
    2. Coat both sides of the steak with oil of choice (you don't need much!)
    3. Preheat a nonstick skillet (we use medium heat...you're aiming for the temperature that browns butter).
    4. Cook the steak for two minutes on the first side. While it's cooking, sprinkle salt and pepper on the top.
    5. Flip the steak, and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
    6. Remove steak from the heat and allow to rest for three minutes.
    7. Slice and enjoy!
    -Krystal

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    Check out a great book called "The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook" by Shannon Hayes. Has great grassfed recipes and cooking tips.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the cut I think. If I were cooking a stir fry I would bring the meat to room temperature and then cook it really quickly. I have found it tastes better and is more tender the less you cook it.

However, for cuts like roasts I use a crock pot and cook for a very long time with veggies and broth. I have also found that the grass fed ground beef I buy cooks quicker and gives off less water (probably because there are no additives like ice chips). When I first started making burgers I overcooked them so watch them closely because they do not cook up the same.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    What I do:
    A little salt and pepper, no oil.
    Sear on each side in very hot frying pan.
    Put pan in oven at 350 until a bit less than desired doneness.
    (I like pink not red.)
    Let rest as long as you can stand.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Hmm...maybe for long-cooking cuts, like roasts or short ribs, low and slow is the way to go. But with steaks and such, you gotta cook it quickly and not past medium. It takes some practice, and, unfortunately, some mistakes to figure it all out, but you'll be a pro in no time.

For example, on the grill, I sear one side, then flip it and put the steak on indirect heat for a while with the lid closed. Similar to what I do inside on the stove, sear one side, then flip, turn down heat, and put a lid on it for a while.

For stir-fry, I have to say I hated steak with it for a while because it always came out tough and overcooked. Then, I figured out a great technique: Keep the steak intact, don't pre-slice. Cook as detailed above. Let it rest for 5 minutes tented in foil. THEN slice and put on top of your stir-fried veggies and such. Be sure to pour the accumulated juices back into the stir-fry. So much better.

Good luck!
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    What I do:
    A little salt and pepper, no oil.
    Sear on each side in very hot frying pan.
    Put pan in oven at 350 until a bit less than desired doneness.
    (I like pink not red.)
    Let rest as long as you can stand.
    I use this method for cooking my ribeyes. Except I never cook above medium heat since it oxidizes the oils/fats. I coat my steaks with salt/pepper and a little bit of coconut oil. Sear each side for 3 minutes. (Searing it locks in the juices). Then you place it in a pre-heated oven to finish it off. Cook it according to how bloody or not that you like it.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

bluechip is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FayetteSidra View Post
    Here's how we cook steaks:

1. Put in an airtight container and allow to come up to room temperature.
    2. Coat both sides of the steak with oil of choice (you don't need much!)
    3. Preheat a nonstick skillet (we use medium heat...you're aiming for the temperature that browns butter).
    4. Cook the steak for two minutes on the first side. While it's cooking, sprinkle salt and pepper on the top.
    5. Flip the steak, and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
    6. Remove steak from the heat and allow to rest for three minutes.
    7. Slice and enjoy!
    yumm yumm yumm nom nom nom!!
    Regards,
    ~ Chris