Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Primal Helped for Depression/Anxiety? Please share.

Hybrid View

Paleobird Guest

Question Has Primal Helped for Depression/Anxiety? Please share.

Hello All.
    I have a dear friend who is really suffering from depression and anxiety but these are subjects I find completely baffling. I have no idea where to start in trying to help. I have heard anecdotal evidence that PB has helped many people with these types of challenges. What I would like to do is gather all those bits and pieces of evidence together on one thread.

If you are someone who has dealt with these issues, I would really appreciate it if you shared your story. If you have any links to external resources that might also help, that would be great too.

Some basic info about my friend : male, late 40s, 15-20 underweight for his tall height. Lives on diet soda and eats breakfast cereal for dinner. Doctors have been trying various combinations of meds over many years to no avail. I'm not sure exactly what he's taking right now. I have talked to him about PB but he isn't convinced it would be any more effective than the meds.

Thank you. I know that these topics are very personal and not easy to discuss for many people. If you could get past that to help someone else in the same boat, that would be very kind of you.

Robin

I would start with Vit D3. Really helped me, way before I found Paleo, though I was already off gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    I would start with Vit D3. Really helped me, way before I found Paleo, though I was already off gluten.
    +1

Paleobird, you mentioned that your friend drank a lot of soda. Would you say that he consumes a lot of caffeine? I ask because I have suffered with high anxiety for most of my life. Last year an acupuncturist recommended I give up caffeine for health reasons. I remember having a cup of coffee about a month afterwards (I had some work to do late and thought I'd benefit from the "pick me up"). Boy, was I wrong. My heart started beating wildly and I couldn't sit still--it was very similar to how I feel when I'm anxious. I don't have the same response to green tea...

England, travelling in Motorhome lookiing for a new home
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Paleobird, you mentioned that your friend drank a lot of soda. Would you say that he consumes a lot of caffeine? I ask because I have suffered with high anxiety for most of my life. Last year an acupuncturist recommended I give up caffeine for health reasons. I remember having a cup of coffee about a month afterwards (I had some work to do late and thought I'd benefit from the "pick me up"). Boy, was I wrong. My heart started beating wildly and I couldn't sit still--it was very similar to how I feel when I'm anxious. I don't have the same response to green tea...
    Oh yes, caffeine, that's another problem for me. Disrupts my sleep horribly and that was definitely a trigger for mania - now if I have any caffeine I too can feel the racing heart etc, not pleasant. The small amounts in a few squares of 85% is my limit!

Interestingly someone posted about having something you've given up for a while and it having a much bigger effect than it used to - that was over at Art's forum. It's very common and he cited cases where recovered drug addicts could find fatal a tiny dose of something they used habitually in much larger amounts.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

England, travelling in Motorhome lookiing for a new home
    This gives another great insight into how the wrong diet can lead to depression - I didn't realise how much affect insulin could have on the brain!

How Stress Makes You Sick and Sad | Psychology Today
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Awesome thread. I have panic/anxiety/depression disorder

And here's a source if you feel like doing a lot of reading:

Evolutionary Psychiatry

It helped me. I kicked my suicidal depression to the curb and it did lower, albeit not remove) my anxiety. For me, the culprit was gluten. Getting rid of that took care of so much of it. There's also a cognitive behavior book I have that helped me immensely. I will say that I can't really drop below about 30-50g carbs without it returning. I also take selenium, a multivitamin, and 5k IU vit D daily. Let me know if you need more detail tan that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    It helped me. I kicked my suicidal depression to the curb and it did lower, albeit not remove) my anxiety. For me, the culprit was gluten. Getting rid of that took care of so much of it. There's also a cognitive behavior book I have that helped me immensely. I will say that I can't really drop below about 30-50g carbs without it returning. I also take selenium, a multivitamin, and 5k IU vit D daily. Let me know if you need more detail tan that.
    South beach helped me and I think pb is as well, but going below 50g also brought it back with a vengeance. Vit D helped a lot.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7