Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Primal Helped for Depression/Anxiety? Please share. page

Paleobird Guest

Question Has Primal Helped for Depression/Anxiety? Please share.

Primal Fuel
    Hello All.
    I have a dear friend who is really suffering from depression and anxiety but these are subjects I find completely baffling. I have no idea where to start in trying to help. I have heard anecdotal evidence that PB has helped many people with these types of challenges. What I would like to do is gather all those bits and pieces of evidence together on one thread.

If you are someone who has dealt with these issues, I would really appreciate it if you shared your story. If you have any links to external resources that might also help, that would be great too.

Some basic info about my friend : male, late 40s, 15-20 underweight for his tall height. Lives on diet soda and eats breakfast cereal for dinner. Doctors have been trying various combinations of meds over many years to no avail. I'm not sure exactly what he's taking right now. I have talked to him about PB but he isn't convinced it would be any more effective than the meds.

Thank you. I know that these topics are very personal and not easy to discuss for many people. If you could get past that to help someone else in the same boat, that would be very kind of you.

Robin

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I would start with Vit D3. Really helped me, way before I found Paleo, though I was already off gluten.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    And here's a source if you feel like doing a lot of reading:

Evolutionary Psychiatry

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    It helped me. I kicked my suicidal depression to the curb and it did lower, albeit not remove) my anxiety. For me, the culprit was gluten. Getting rid of that took care of so much of it. There's also a cognitive behavior book I have that helped me immensely. I will say that I can't really drop below about 30-50g carbs without it returning. I also take selenium, a multivitamin, and 5k IU vit D daily. Let me know if you need more detail tan that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    male, late 40s, 15-20 underweight for his tall height. Lives on diet soda and eats breakfast cereal for dinner. Doctors have been trying various combinations of meds over many years to no avail.
    And what's wrong with this picture???

Please, I'm not being a smartass - the poor man eats only non-food items and his idiot doctors are trying to fix that with drugs???? How could going Primal possibly not improve both his physical and mental health, in that order? I hope you can convince him to give it a try - I think it could go a long, long way toward changing his life - IF he wants it to change.

I have a similar situation with my husband - depressed, miserable, zero joy in his life aside from fleeting superficial stuff but, he loves being miserable and absolutely revels in moping around and feeling sorry for himself. You can't help a person with that mindset, I hope your friend isn't in that camp.
    Last edited by LJH; 03-20-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Edit to add further thoughts

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    YESSSS.

Sugar and grains are the biggies, as far as using food culprits that jack with brain chemistry.
    Amino acid therapy handled/handles the rest. (+++)
    Exercise, particularly exercising outdoors.
    Sunshine.

Books:
    "The Mood Cure" by Ross. She has a lot of experience getting folks off antidepressants and onto amino acids.
    "Depression-Free, Naturally" by Larson.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Paleobird Guest
    I totally agree and I've been trying to convince him of this. I just thought however that it might "sink in" better if it came from people who have BTDT experience in this area, not just from naturally happy and sunny me.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Tell him I went from suicidal and 3 breaths from acting on it some, no, most days to a happy go lucky side of myself few had seen since I was in 6th grade. I went from a fear of being wrong, a deep need to be perfect and never achieving it (my variety of generalized anxiety) to a more accepting and free flowing version of myself. Unexpected change no longer sends me into a tailspin or a panic attack. Yes, part of this is my new ADD pills, but even before that, on Primal, I managed to get it down to a minute version of what it was. I do credit Primal (and Geek) for saving me from myself. Going away from Primal permanently is not an option, because the minute I start eating SAD/ CW, the depression and anxiety come back with a vengeance.
    Moreover, there is research out there (I'm too lazy to go dig it up) that indicated fake sugars (sucralose, equal, the pink packet) actually made at least depression and possibly anxiety worse. The blood sugar swings of CW eating wreaks havoc on a depressive, because thr low spots are so much lower than other people's.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My friend, who ate moderately well, adopted primal at the start of this year and it made her anxiety and depression much, much worse. I did some googling on the subject, and it does appear that low carb can exacerbate symptoms for some people. I wish I'd realized that ahead of time, so I could suggest she up the carbs a bit. Instead, it was such an awful experience for her that I doubt she'll give it another go
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    I would start with Vit D3. Really helped me, way before I found Paleo, though I was already off gluten.
    +1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast