Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 79

Thread: Has Primal Helped for Depression/Anxiety? Please share. page 5

  1. #41
    Buttercup's Avatar
    Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    271
    Shop Now
    I didn't start PB with the intention of helping my anxiety, but it did. I would say I've experienced an 80% reduction. Something about it makes sense now...if you have all this weird energy in your body, where does it go? Makes sense in terms of ADHD too.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

  2. #42
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    And Kelda, I too also just took a vacation where I was forced to eat more carbs than normal due to a crazy schedule and limited dietary choices, and yes, my anxiety came back big time, as well as a feeling of strangeness in my brain. Am so happy to be back on full primal and home again.
    Aha, that is interesting. Yes, a feeling of strangeness in my brain too - that's a very good way of explaining it - it made me feel quite hopeless (in the literal sense) for a while during that day - we went to a restaurant that night where I was able to be Primal and by the following day I began to feel fine again (albeit tired from all the travelling). And, thinking about it during Monday I felt amazingly light-hearted, as if my body was jumping for joy to be back as usual - in fact I now remember that wonderful feeling back at the beginning after my 36 hours of the most incredible detox symptoms when I cold-turkeyed from grains and added sugars (sweats, shakes, the whole deal).

    It is so good sharing!
    Last edited by Kelda; 03-23-2011 at 01:25 AM.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  3. #43
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I didn't start PB with the intention of helping my anxiety, but it did. I would say I've experienced an 80% reduction. Something about it makes sense now...if you have all this weird energy in your body, where does it go? Makes sense in terms of ADHD too.
    If you have the time Buttercup have a look at Dr Dean's blog Evolutionary Psychiatry she has a number of blog posts with reference to ADHD, it's another one of the disorders now being seen as a potential metabolic dysfunction (along with bipolar and Altzheimer's to mention but two) and one that is very successfully treated with grain withdrawal and very low carb diets - it would appear that when you look closely at just about every Western malady that has appeared in the last couple of hundred years (that never previously existed in human populations) can be linked back to diet. What you get just depends on your body's genetic predispositions at the gene level - for me high sugars screwed my insulin response and blocked hormones that lead to bipolar, for others it shows as massive weight gain, for others masses of inflammatory issues. I really do believe that all humans are adversely affected to some degree by these novel foods we just haven't identified them all yet.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  4. #44
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    thinking about it - I always thought I got very depressed after sugar binges "because i binged" - i.e. because I had 'failed" etc etc etc . Of course, it is also possible that the depression was literally CAUSED by the sugar. Never thought of it like that. Certainly after 4 months of no sugar my recent episodes have been even more traumatic and I long for the stability of my "ordinary Primal" brain. Perhaps knowing the literal "cause and effect" helps - for your friend too. If you KNOW that what you are consuming is poison you are less likely to do it?? (For example, much as I might feel like going on an "alcohol bender" I never do. I always stop after 2 glasses max. BECAUSE I get an appalling day long life obliterating hangover if I drink more. Not worth it.) Of course, that is "moderation", not completely banning alcohol so is different? I need to totally ban refined sugar - though if I keep eating some small amount of fruits I guess I am doing moderation??

    I am rambling. Just wanted to offer some support. Depression is an appalling illness. I would literally "not wish it on my worst enemy".

  5. #45
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    thinking about it - I always thought I got very depressed after sugar binges "because i binged" - i.e. because I had 'failed" etc etc etc . Of course, it is also possible that the depression was literally CAUSED by the sugar. Never thought of it like that. ??
    It's a whole mindset change required. It was only after I realised that I hadn't had an episode for may be 9 months that I truly believed I was 'cured' then I began trying to work out why and how (probably to convince myself it wasn't coming back), I did lots of research and found some answers. When I realised that my life long struggle had just been my body trying its best to deal with a chemical imbalance caused by what I ate I can't tell you how liberating it was. All the guilt I had carried for all those years just fell away including the distain I'd always perceived from my mother because I simply couldn't 'get a grip' as she saw it (and still does - she now just thinks she was right all along and there was never anything really wrong with me!). Once I realised I was as likely to be able to control the mental disorder as she was to 'mind over matter her blood pressure lower' I was released.

    That is how I find it easy to NEVER eat grains and sugary foods, not even be tempted, because I see them as a poison for me, and they are (until last week that is!).


    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    Certainly after 4 months of no sugar my recent episodes have been even more traumatic and I long for the stability of my "ordinary Primal" brain. Perhaps knowing the literal "cause and effect" helps - for your friend too. If you KNOW that what you are consuming is poison you are less likely to do it?? ??
    It works for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    Of course, that is "moderation", not completely banning alcohol so is different? I need to totally ban refined sugar - though if I keep eating some small amount of fruits I guess I am doing moderation??
    There are some things that moderation doesn't work for. These are generally part of addiction. The alcoholic cannot moderate alcohol - I have a good friend who falls off the wagon every few years - he simply cannot have just one or two. I think refined sugar could be your thing to ban if you can clearly associate it with negative affects. As for small amounts of fruit ... grey area probably, if they maintain the desire for sugar probably not a good idea but if they don't affect mood and don't trigger you to forage more and purer sugar forms things like berries should be fairly risk-free.

    As an example of my over doing carbs last week ... I allowed myself some fruit after my eggs and meat breakfast ... melon mostly, then some fruits of the forest which probably had some kind of syrup although I did my best to drain them. Then at the evening meal (these were all buffets by the way so pick what you want and eat as much as you like) the dessert stand had lots of creamy/moulded type desserts that were free of grains, so I tried a little spoonful of one or two, I did this each evening, the one or two spoonfuls grew, the fruit after breakfast became more appealing.

    For me personally, it's on or off I guess, moderation doesn't really figure!

    And interestingly, at a tangent possibly, alcoholics often have BIG problems with quitting carbs/sugars too ... Art De Vany writes about this. All to do with the fact that the liver processes the fructose the same as the alcohol, in fact you can get fatty liver disease with toxity from alcohol and from fructose (alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic ...).

    @Geostump - 'I used to tell myself I was happy and get on with it paint on the happy face' exactly ... it wasn't until I really believed I was cured, this year probably, that it suddenly dawned on me how much energy it had taken just to appear 'normal' and 'coping'. Now I just am. No effort required. That's when I knew I'd cracked it and when I realised how people who have never suffered this way find it totally incomprehensible to understand. If you've never had to 'try' to be happy, or not unhappy etc, you simply have no frame of reference.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  6. #46
    KimT's Avatar
    KimT is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    180
    My husband had suffered from moderate to severe depression for as far back as he can remember and he told me that he tasted the barrell of a gun on a few occasions. He had no zest for life, always fatigued, in a fog. You could see the mood change come on him in an instant. We would go somewhere and I'd ask if he had fun. He would say that he neither had a good time, nor a bad time. He just had an existance.

    Working out was his therapy, still is for the most part, since after one time trying medication, before we ever met, he swore he'd never try it again. He had some hormone testing last year and with the advice of a doctor, started an elimination diet. No grain, legumes, nuts, seeds, dairy, fruit, pork, fish, or eggs. So basic meat and veggies. That's what lead me here. It took 3 months until he had his first good day. He was at work and said he had so much energy he wanted to go outside and run. It took a little while longer for him to have consecutive good days, but now he has more good than bad. The bad come after having grains.

    One of his expeiences was after having cut out grains and legumes, he was supposed to compete in a 1/2 Ironman. He had spent months training. When we got to San Diego he ate pizza and subs since we were on vacation too. The night before the race he got a migraine. He hadn't had one in years and it lasted 3 days. He had to miss the race. All that time, money, and training washed away by food. He still indulges once in a while, but knows he'll pay for it.

    It is frustrating being the other person that doesn't have the problem because I don't understand those feelings, but I support him and cook the best I can for both of us. We're still both a work in progress, but this change has been awesome for us as a couple and has him feeling well enough to start his own business after dreaming of it for years, but not having the brain power to do it.

    I don't know the scientific background, but I don't need it. I have the living proof in front of me each and every day. The side bonus to all of this is that he also dropped 30 pounds in the process. Weight that despite a "healthy" diet and tons of exercise he couldn't drop.

    Best of luck to you in your quest to help!

  7. #47
    aktres's Avatar
    aktres is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    727
    That's an amazing story, Kim. Wow.

  8. #48
    KimT's Avatar
    KimT is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    180
    Aktres it is amazing. It's been a journey. The thing is, we were searching for solutions for me. When I was going to do the hormone testing, the doc sent 2 test kits in case we both wanted to do it. He wasn't interested at first and I talked him into it because of the fatigue. Neither of us ever thought that it would change our lives to this extent.

  9. #49
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    And interestingly, at a tangent possibly, alcoholics often have BIG problems with quitting carbs/sugars too ... Art De Vany writes about this. All to do with the fact that the liver processes the fructose the same as the alcohol, in fact you can get fatty liver disease with toxity from alcohol and from fructose (alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic ...).
    Alcoholism runs strongly in my family, I don't think thats a coincidence. I believe it has a genetic component and have also read that alcoholics have a bad time with carbs. All tied up with serotonin i guess. BUT anyway, sugar is my addiction and yes, if I can get my head around it the way I have with alcohol - its gone. Its so bloody ubiquitous though, its actually harder to omit sugar from a diet than almost any other substance.... and as you say, one taste can lead to an "overdose".

  10. #50
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    BUT anyway, sugar is my addiction and yes, if I can get my head around it the way I have with alcohol - its gone. Its so bloody ubiquitous though, its actually harder to omit sugar from a diet than almost any other substance.... and as you say, one taste can lead to an "overdose".
    I just don't eat anything that is pre-prepared, so I cook from first principles if you see what I mean and don't add sugar in the process that makes it pretty easy for me. Carbs that naturally occur in say nuts and beef don't cause me a problem and whilst training I eat Nakd bars (raw dried fruit and nuts which have about 14 g of naturally occuring sugars - nothing added) and they are OK too especially as I'm burning some carbs whilst eating them.

    Good luck!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •