Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Primal Helped for Depression/Anxiety? Please share. page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you NK. I'm so glad you didn't act on it. This forum would be a lesser place if you had.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thank you NK. I'm so glad you didn't act on it. This forum would be a lesser place if you had.
    If I can help one person learn a lesson an easier way than the way I had to learn it, then I'm doing something right.
    And thank YOU, for trying to help your friend out. It takes a strong person to be on the other side of the depression wall and still be willing to help.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    I struggle with depression/anxiety at times, and I notice that Primal eating makes it pretty much go away. It removes that cloud from over my head.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    I struggle with depression/anxiety at times, and I notice that Primal eating makes it pretty much go away. It removes that cloud from over my head.
    That's an interesting way to put it. My friend said he has times when even making simple decisions seems so paralyzing that he just sits there and doesn't do anything. Has anybody else felt that way?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    Same here. If I eat a lot of gluten products, the brain fog comes back. That fog makes life really difficult for me, including making small decisions and just day to day functioning. I never realized how bad it was until I went PB. I always just thought something was inherently wrong with me.

Maybe your friend would try vitamin d, then switching to less inflammatory grains like rice to see if gluten is the problem? (small steps, that's how I got here)

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks Jen. I think the small steps approach may be a really good idea. If I could just get him to give up the diet sodas, that would be a big step in the right direction.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    It helped me. I kicked my suicidal depression to the curb and it did lower, albeit not remove) my anxiety. For me, the culprit was gluten. Getting rid of that took care of so much of it. There's also a cognitive behavior book I have that helped me immensely. I will say that I can't really drop below about 30-50g carbs without it returning. I also take selenium, a multivitamin, and 5k IU vit D daily. Let me know if you need more detail tan that.
    South beach helped me and I think pb is as well, but going below 50g also brought it back with a vengeance. Vit D helped a lot.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Paleobird Guest
    That's interesting. For both of you low carb is good but super low carb is not. Both of you as I recall from other posts tend toward the thinner end of things, right? (as does my friend). Hmmmm.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    My anxiety and depression disapeared when I dropped the grains. Gluten can apparently cause depression and anxiety.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    YES. Me. I had been suicidal, and suffered manic outburts since the age of 10. Anxiety was crippling, I had panic attacks that had me leave in the middle of a lecture to run outside just to BREATHE. I was hardly socially functioning at one point, and could not complete schoolwork. Other days, I would be as happy as ever - so nobody ever saw any reason for treatment. Anyway, enough about me.

Eventually I found PB, and it changed my life. I am now my "happy self" 24/7 and very successful in college. I still get a teensy bit anxious sometimes, but it's the "normal" kind - more like just being nervous. Depression is almost non-existent, and I am NEVER manic/have angry outbursts.

Also, all the kids I nanny had various issues. One had asbergers, the rest had behavioral problems. Almost overnight, they completely transformed to these idyllic children. Different, but still showing the crazy effect it has on personality. When the mom decided to lean more towards "gluten-free"/raw/vegetarian, that they were doing previous to primal - their issues came back.

I am not passionate about PB because of weightloss, I am passionate because it has the ability to transform lives in ways you couldn't even imagine.

(Okay, done being crazy cheesy and making primal sound like a cult )

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast