Thread: Kids and vitamin D page

katydid317 is offline Senior Member

Kids and vitamin D

Primal Fuel
    Since taking vitamin D has had such great effect on me I've decided I need to get my son taking it as well. I bought vitamin D gummies so that he can manage taking them (I know I could have gone with drops, but this way he will basically remind me to give him his vitamins if I forget). Each gummy is 500ui. Are the rules for kids and vitamin D the same as adults, 1000ui per 25 lbs of body weight? Are there any negative side effects from taking too much vitamin D?

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Why not get his levels tested before you start supplementing?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Are the rules for kids and vitamin D the same as adults, 1000ui per 25 lbs of body weight? Are there any negative side effects from taking too much vitamin D?
    Yes. No overdose issues until you get consistently over 20,000 IUs/day. (for most folks--a very rare few are sensitive or have a pre-existing condition that prohibits D supplementation.) If you can take the supplements, chances are that your son can, too.

Camille is offline Member
    Katydid, I'm just curious - what positive effects have you gotten from vitamin d supplements? I started taking 1000ui daily a couple months ago to boost my immune system and help with mild seasonal depression. I had no idea there was a rule - now wondering if upping it to 6,000 ui a day will amplify the effects.

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Katydid, I'm just curious - what positive effects have you gotten from vitamin d supplements? I started taking 1000ui daily a couple months ago to boost my immune system and help with mild seasonal depression. I had no idea there was a rule - now wondering if upping it to 6,000 ui a day will amplify the effects.
    The improvement in my mood is incredible. I was in no way depressed before, but now that I am taking vitamin D the difference is incredible. I feel so much more positive, it's amazing. I don't really know how to properly describe it. The vitamin D thread said the rule is generally 1000ui per 25lbs, so I based my dosage on that and rounded up.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I started supplementing my kids with Vit D - usually they get 400-800/day and their excema cleared up within a week.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    I just started giving my 2.5 year old and 5 year old between 1000 and 2000 IU each day. I personally have not seen the sun on my bare skin in a long time. Maybe 2x last year with any amount of exposure at all so I am taking 10000 IU for a while. I am going to the Dr. to get general blood work done and will have it tested then. From what I read vitamin D toxicity is pretty remote even at the level I am taking. If my values are normal when tested I will drop them back and by that time get some darn sun.

How long did it take you to notice a difference?

teelea is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is a really interesting documentary out called "Food Matters". It has a lot of information about vitamins and many of the vitamin guru's make an appearance in the documentary, so it gives you a good basis for starting to find books etc on the topic.

I highly recommend - vitamin therapy is an amazing thing.